German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Read Only
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All ?
So, after a long search, I finally found my pup! I’m pretty certain he’s a long coat. Comes from a reputable breeder. He’s 5 weeks old. Has very unique markings. Let me know what you think. I pick him up in 4 weeks. Have a great Easter everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Super cute! Definitely a longcoat. What's the pedigree?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not sure. He had the sire and the dam pictures on there, and I am getting AKC paperwork with him. I got a good deal. I’m sure I could get the pedigree. I’ll post pictures of the dam and sire.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Cute puppy! Glad you finally found one.

Just curious, but what makes you say the breeder is reputable? I always wonder how the definition of reputable changes from person to person.

·
Read Only
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s a good question. He has a Facebook page and has a lot of reviews all are positive and he gives full registration? I’m not looking for a show dog or to ever breed him. Just for a good family pet and a walking/running buddy.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Wow!! He is a hair ball!! Much more so than my coaties at that stage, Congratulations!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Awesome congrats!! Looks like a little ewok! What are you naming him???

Do post a lot if pics as he grows! I'd like to see how that chin marking plays out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, so I don’t think he is ofa’d. I just know he comes fully registered. He may come with hip guarantee. But I’m not sure. I’m not sure on a name quite yet. Our other shepherd is Barnes after Marvel’s Bucky Barnes. We may name this little fellow Captain? But I’ve also thought about Baloo. I’m not quite sure yet.

·
Read Only
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All, just an update. I have decided not to get the puppy. I did some digging, and saw a past customer said they had gotten a pup from the breeder (2nd pup from same breeder) and said after 2 years it developed hip dysplasia. They had told the breeder and he did nothing. I found a breeder in Wisconsin and should be bringing home a puppy in July. This breeder does provide a pedigree, a written health guarantee and screening, along with full registration, vaccines.... etc. Thanks for all the feedback. Have a great day!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hi All, just an update. I have decided not to get the puppy. I did some digging, and saw a past customer said they had gotten a pup from the breeder (2nd pup from same breeder) and said after 2 years it developed hip dysplasia. They had told the breeder and he did nothing. I found a breeder in Wisconsin and should be bringing home a puppy in July. This breeder does provide a pedigree, a written health guarantee and screening, along with full registration, vaccines.... etc. Thanks for all the feedback. Have a great day!
That's a shame. That fluff ball looks like he may be a looker when he grows up. So cute. I give you mad props for doing your research and changing your mind and looking elsewhere. Hard to do that when you've seen the pup. Many would just stick with it. Anyway good luck with the new pup and post pictures.

Cute puppy! Glad you finally found one.

Just curious, but what makes you say the breeder is reputable? I always wonder how the definition of reputable changes from person to person.
That's a good question. I always wonder the same thing. What is considered a "reputable" breeder? I see that term thrown around a lot. I've probably used it somewhere too.

·
Read Only
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was definitely hard. I had some red flags. When I looked into this breeder he had 5 pups. I asked to see pictures of the available males and be sent me two pictures, both all black. A few days later he sent me the picture of that pup. He knew I was looking for a long coat. That puppy was never in any of his original pictures of that litter on his Facebook. The puppy is no longer on the Facebook page either. All pictures of him were taken off. But all the other pups (even the other male that was sold) are still on. The puppy sure was gorgeous. But it would have been awful if he came down with hip dysplasia or any other disease. Better to back out now before my heart gets invested.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
It's hard to connect with a picture and an idea of your pup, then have it not workout. I'm sorry that happened :(

I mean this in a very kind way- you seem to be new to the concept of GSDs breeders, pedigree. Would you want to share the pedigree or planned breeding you are looking at now? Odds are people on this board will have personal experience or a least knowledge with/of some of the dogs in the lines.

·
Read Only
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No offense taken. I am very new to the pedigree end of it all. If I can figure out how to post it, I will. I looked up the pedigree of the mother and her hips and elbows came back clear. She passed with an A.
Is it within guidelines to share the name of a breeder? I just don’t want to get in trouble.

·
Read Only
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I joined this forum because I had an awful experience with my first GS. Health issues...... lots of money trying to fix it. He’s now 3 and finally healthy. This time around I wanted a long coat and wanted a healthy dog. So I came on here and it’s been exactly what I needed. A lot of you have saved me from back yard breeders or have been able to tell if the pup was what I was looking for. I can’t thank you enough.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
No offense taken. I am very new to the pedigree end of it all. If I can figure out how to post it, I will. I looked up the pedigree of the mother and her hips and elbows came back clear. She passed with an A.
Is it within guidelines to share the name of a breeder? I just don’t want to get in trouble.
There is a section here specifically for asking/discussing pedigrees. Breeder bashing is not allowed, but giving feedback on certain dogs is absolutely allowed. If you have the full name of the sire and or dam that is a good place to start. You can put "thoughts on this breeder" in the "Finding A Good Breeder" section. again you will get skilled feedback without anyone going to town on a less than stellar breeder. You may get a "I'd look elsewhere" ..or you will get good feedback. I'd go for it if I were you. As you know it is a long term commitment and considering what you went through last time, you owe this to yourself, you deserve it.

·
Read Only
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you kindly. I am going to do just that. Keep an eye out. It will be within the day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts