German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on this board a lot when I first got my puppy, Kaiser. He is now a year and 7 months old, he's grown to a good solid 90 or so pounds. I don't know if anyone remembers, but I had gigantic problems with him from the age of 4 months on. He would attack everyone at that age. Then he switched to just attacking the members of my household for anything, and I was allowed to do as I please. He would attack people for moving, or holding anything, walking into a room, coughing, anything you could think of, he had a problem with it. Grooming and brushing him was out of the questions, NOW i can do those things. I was told by many trainers to put him down, his vet told me to put him down as well. ( I have now changed vets). I refused to give up on him because he didn't turn out how i wanted and had so many issues, I believed he was my responsibly and that more than likely I wasn't educated enough in how to deal with it.

I got advise from people who I corresponded with through a site that someone on here told me about, thank you again, whoever you are. :) As well as any trainer that would give me the time of day in my area, but wouldn't train him themselves, i would bend their ear for advise.

After working with him since the age of 4 months and applying the advice i received, he has gotten so much better, its been a lot of time and money but it has been worth it, i know its going to be a forever process. Naturally, I don't let him near new visitors that drop by, they can greet him, but i find its been more of a problem telling people that they have to let him smell them first. ( my brother thinks he is Caesar milian), but he is segregated behind a gate when too many people are around, it makes him weary. But as far as the attacks have gone, he hasn't bitten anyone in the household for the past 4 and a half months, they can sit out in the living room and move freely through the house.

I'm very happy with the results i am seeing. :)

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Hats off to you for your dedication and hard work. Too many would have taken the bad advice, but you stuck with him, great job!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
kudos to you! your decision was the best i can think of.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I'm very proud of him. I figured out it was more about training myself...in order to train him.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Sevastra, as proud as you are of him and his hard work - and it is hard work for these dogs - pat yourself on the back as well; you worked just as hard.

You did the same thing I did when I got the same advice about Woolf. You found the best way to help your dog. Congratulations for a good job still in progress :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts