German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I got my male GSD pup today, he is 50 days old, so cute and I love him, but he is scaring me.. I think he misses his mom and is sad, he hasn't drank water, he ate a bit of kibble and yogurt and hasn't pooped or peed yet..

I gave him a nice warm shower today and dried him, he was afraid of the hair dryer though! I was told to just let him be, I put him in his crate in my room with a big bowl of water, the crate is big I hope if he needs to poop or pee he can! Any tips or soothing advice?

·
Registered
90 Posts
So he's only 7 weeks old? Sounds like he left his mum a bit too early. The later the better really! 8 weeks is the recommended time, but even after then some pups still prefer the company of their siblings and mum to humans, which means they aren't ready to go to a home yet. I'm sure he'll settle in once he's used to you and the new surroundings. Try not to worry too much unless this continues for a few days, then take him to a vet.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
You just brought him home away from all he knows. He's little. It's a shock to him. He's suddenly away from mom and his siblings and with strangers. You'd be upset too. Give him time to adjust and learn to trust you.

·
Registered
441 Posts
A bit late but a lot of people say (and I don't know if this is myth or not) to never wash a new pup until a few weeks after you have introduced him to new home. It can be a very traumatizing experience for a pup already in emotional/sensory overload.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A bit late but a lot of people say (and I don't know if this is myth or not) to never wash a new pup until a few weeks after you have introduced him to new home. It can be a very traumatizing experience for a pup already in emotional/sensory overload.
He actually loved it! He's doing a bit better than yesterday, he didn't let me sleep well though! Hopefully today he will eat well, he has strong teeth though! He destroyed a small bone chew you in 2 hours!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts