German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found a store here with clickers and started using it today with Lijha's training. after a session of conditioning with it I did another one later emphasizing eye contact and sit/lay down (which she already knew) and I can tell a big difference in her. She is very engaged and seems interested in the training. I'll let you know how it goes, she is the first puppy I have ever trained...

:gsdbeggin:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I too have started clicker training. You really want to engage her? Train her on an empty stomach! Let her earn her food. Of course, use food or treats while training.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Rocky was 10x better with it. Now, on walks I can get him to stay beside me and not lag behind or pull ahead by clicking every 10-20 seconds and he looks up for his treat!! He was being bad this afternoon but we practiced ten minutes tonight when I wasn't anxious and he did awesome!!!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
:hug: :hug: :hug: :wub: :wub: :hug: :hug:

To all of you who tried the clicker! Even better to see it's working so well for everyone. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Funny we got one tonight too for Kola... when we got home and relaxed a little bit we started the afternoon training, and she really did better than I thought...

She now knows "sit" perfectly, and we are working on "stay". After she masters those I guess I will try lay down.

Also used it for her crate training and she got right in her crate and sat down.

I hope crate training tonight goes well.

I'm glad to hear your clicker is working!!!!

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
She now knows "sit" perfectly, and we are working on "stay". After she masters those I guess I will try lay down.
Great! But why wait? You don't need to teach one command at a time - if she knows sit AND down you can have her doing "puppy pushups. And if you throw "stand" in there it's even better because she won't able to anticipate what you're going to ask her to do next.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When you use the term master what are u referring to?

My dog knows many commands but she rarely listens right away...Many people say never to repeat yourself so I say it once and wait a couple of seconds until she listens or repeat myself a little bit later. How do you get your dogs to do precisely on command?

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
My dog knows many commands but she rarely listens right away...Many people say never to repeat yourself so I say it once and wait a couple of seconds until she listens or repeat myself a little bit later. How do you get your dogs to do precisely on command?
If she rarely "listens" right away chances are good that she doesn't really know those commands. She may have learned them in some very specific contexts, but change the picture a little (outside vs inside, for example, or with her at your side vs in front of you toe to toe) and it's completely different for the dog.

Can you describe exactly how you train a command? It's hard to give advice if we don't have a grasp of what you're currently doing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
When you use the term master what are u referring to?

I personally do not agree with not repeating the command. She's a puppy - teach her the words via repetition. She needs to hear them consistently and receive praise/treat for doing them to make the connection. When it's clear she knows them, then don't repeat. This has always worked for me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I personally do not agree with not repeating the command. She's a puppy - teach her the words via repetition. She needs to hear them consistently and receive praise/treat for doing them to make the connection. When it's clear she knows them, then don't repeat. This has always worked for me.
How many puppies have you trained this way?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing.

Pretty much all training doesn't want us to say 'sit sit sit sit sit sit sit' and then think our pup did well if it sits AFTER the 7th time we say the command.

Now if I say 'sit' and the pup sits (good girl! puppy party) then the pup stands and I say 'sit' (puppy party if she sits) and she then downs and I say 'sit' (and she sits to get a puppy party)........... then I said 'sit' 3 times and was training properly.

Sit means sit. As long as my pup is near and paying attention, they heard me. They aren't deaf. The word went in their ear. So to say it over and over is no longer 'training' anything but that sometimes 'sit' doesn't mean 'sit' at all. It means continue to do whatever you are doing and that's fine and wonderful, I didn't really mean you need to 'sit' right now...... you can do it whenever, I'll just be here when you finally think I may mean it and decide to 'sit'.

Use the clicker. Your pup (if your timing is right, your pup is hungry, and you are using real treats) will learn to sit so fast, at the first command, you will have trouble clicking fast enough...............

Same with the 'down' and any other command. In fact when you start with the clicker you don't talk at all, and they throw out the behaviors very fast.

·
Registered
45 Posts
With the clicker my girl is on point. If it is the right time of the day and she is hungry and in the mood to train she'll doing everything with one command....

In the real world, for instance I'll make her sit to put her leash/collar on as well as sit before going outside, her reward for doing as I say is then the opportunity to go outside....(these are the times when i obviously dont have the clicker at that moment)...I am 100% sure she knows the command to sit, but sometimes she'll act uninterested and just go lay wherever she wants or she'll test me and just walk in circles or stand there with her head down yet watching me out of one eye (everyone that has a dog knows that stance)

Anyway typically I'll just go sit down and try again later but when I KNOW she has to go outside..say early morning and she plays this game its frustrating for sure because I dont want her to go in the house (which shes been pretty good about for the most part)

Also not to get off topic but lately she has been peeing outside but refusing to poop and then she'll poop her crate or in the house later...this is a recent development but definitely one I need to get rid of, have any of you experienced this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts