German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I now have a list of three different people in my town who are willing to work with Gypsy. Best of all, two of them are the more balanced sort of trainer I had been looking for. After being told by an expensive positive-only trainer in the city that my dog could not even make it through a basic OB class, I was feeling really disheartened. Then we had a private lesson this Sunday with a local trainer who actually went for a walk with us and watched her responses to the neighborhood dogs. She said, "I don't think you have a problem here." Showed me proper leash handling and Gypsy calmed down right away. Sigh of relief! We are now signed up for obedience classes in the fall.

Here is what I have learned from this experience, for the benefit of others:

1. Always get a second and third opinion. Trainers and behaviorists are different animals.

2. Word of mouth is important: I found out about these trainers from a pet store owner and a GSD breeder, specifically. Just ask politely and even total strangers can help.

3. Take your time. Uncover some leads, investigate, then take a break. It can be easy to "settle" for something you are not happy with just because it is readily available.

Just my thoughts. I feel like a huge weight is off my shoulders.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Glad you didn't listen to the PO trainer, sometimes hearing someone say something like this can be a huge motivator to push even harder.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Yayy!! for finding a trainer.

Use this thread or start a new one as a journal for the training. You will watch your own progress and others may see something that will help them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts