German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well today was the day! I am so excited! picked her up around 6, brought her home and she is very cautious and even a little scared of me, she really likes women so she should warm up when mom comes home..

she even grabbed a pork chop off the counter already :mad: lol

here is a shot of her peeking in on me when im cooking some tacos!

She should warm up very soon, she also a little loopy from being spayed around noon....

I will keep everyone updated with pictures! she is very good on a leash (once i finally got it on her) lol.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Pretty girl!

Use her food/treats to lure her into you! Even if you have to toss them on the floor between. Just to get her used to the 'all wonderful things are pouring out of this fantastic new human I live with!':wub:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty girl!

Use her food/treats to lure her into you! Even if you have to toss them on the floor between. Just to get her used to the 'all wonderful things are pouring out of this fantastic new human I live with!':wub:

yeah i had too to get her on a leash.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
USE food, it's a good thing to really help them get over any nervousness and anxiety much faster. May want to NOT feed in a bowl at all for awhile, just pack your pockets with kibble to be giving to her all day long!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
If she is wary, just ignore her(other than the food like MRL suggests) Most dogs really hate to be ignored and will come looking for you after a day or two, then the trust bond will begin. She is really pretty, reminds me of Sadie, who I rescued from AC when I was 16. Did you decide on a name yet?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If she is wary, just ignore her(other than the food like MRL suggests) Most dogs really hate to be ignored and will come looking for you after a day or two, then the trust bond will begin. She is really pretty, reminds me of Sadie, who I rescued from AC when I was 16. Did you decide on a name yet?
im calling her willow now, her original name until she is comfortable, i will then work my way into something else.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well after night one she did ok, no peeing or w/e all over the place, she stays in the back room (big office and pool table room) when we aren't home and she did good with that this morning. she comes very easily now when i hold a treat out but still is kinda skiddish if i try and walk up to her without one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so i was walking her and let go of the leash so she wouldnt knock over a lamp thingy, well she ran for MILES UPON MILES! and just kept running from me...
ugh.. im so frustrated.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
You got her back, I hope??

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
ok so i was walking her and let go of the leash so she wouldnt knock over a lamp thingy, well she ran for MILES UPON MILES! and just kept running from me...
ugh.. im so frustrated.

Yeah, your new to her and well.. HUSKY. They are runners ...

Good luck, she's pretty. Keep hold of that leash, unless you want to start training for a marathon. Pittsburgh's is usually early May :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You got her back, I hope??
yeah, i wouldnt be able to go home without her.

Yeah, your new to her and well.. HUSKY. They are runners ...

Good luck, she's pretty. Keep hold of that leash, unless you want to start training for a marathon. Pittsburgh's is usually early May :D
ugh, she was on the other side of one of the those lights on a short block.. and she came to walk more and the leash was gonna knock it off... so i dropped it.. and BOOM HEADSHOT! shes gone... then after the half marathon chase I got her and she didnt snap but opened her mouth because I lunged at her to get her leash... then almost got out of the leash, im gonna have to get one of the metal leashes that snugs up with tension.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Get a martingale collar for her, she won't be able to slip it(fitted correctly) and it won't choke her either. Don't get a choke type collar if that is what you are writing of.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Can you find a good trainer and have some private lessons? Best way if you get a training collar.

ALso, take that ziplock of treats you have in the house and take it on all your walks! Even with a leash on, you can still reward with the food if they look/listen/ come close....

And at least you know now to not let go of the leash for the time being, no matter what!

PUPPY CLASSES!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get a martingale collar for her, she won't be able to slip it(fitted correctly) and it won't choke her either. Don't get a choke type collar if that is what you are writing of.
no it will NOT be a choke! no prongs on the inside, itll close like a choke in a way but not choke her with prongs and crap.

Can you find a good trainer and have some private lessons? Best way if you get a training collar.

ALso, take that ziplock of treats you have in the house and take it on all your walks! Even with a leash on, you can still reward with the food if they look/listen/ come close....

And at least you know now to not let go of the leash for the time being, no matter what!

PUPPY CLASSES!
yeah

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
yeah, I try to never let go of the leash. If i have to on one end I'll grab it somewhere else before letting go. She felt that tension let got and bam, the fun starts... she runs, you follow, a great time is had by all, not. lol.

Glad you got her back and she wasn't injured in the meantime. Good luck

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I second the martingale collar :) They are miracles! They were designed originally for dogs that have similar heads to greyhounds, where the skull isn't really that much bigger than their necks.

They also have some like this, but with her being so skiddish, I would not get this one since the sound of the chain part might scare her.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GSDSunishine I got one of those last night, the all cloth one and she likes it.. ill take her for a walk later to test it out...

here she is this morning finally using the bed!

:wub:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
GSDSunishine I got one of those last night, the all cloth one and she likes it.. ill take her for a walk later to test it out...

here she is this morning finally using the bed!

:wub:
Awww What a sweet girl. I'll try not to hold that gator rug against you. lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts