German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(warning: proud momma rambling :eek:)
After waiting for a month, I finally brought Dallas home on Monday!

He is such a good boy. He was 13.8 pounds the day I brought him home, and I can already tell he's gotten bigger. He was great on the car ride home, and I took him to pick out a new toy when we got to town. Whenever another person or a strange dog approached him, he just looked at them curiously and then looked up at me. As if asking, "what do you want me to do, mom?" Everyone was so impressed with how well-behaved he was.

For the first night, I kept him in my bedroom. But on Tuesday, I let him out and he immediately adjusted to our other dogs. The cats are having issues getting used to him, but he's very sweet and calm when they do approach him. Now he's running around the house and trying to chew on everything he can find (I imagine he'll be learning "leave it!" very quickly. He seems to be starting to understand it). He has been sleeping great... He wakes me up around 2 and 5 to go potty, then we're up for the day at 8. He's already pretty comfortable with his crate. He'll whine for about 5 minutes when I initially crate him, then he settles down. But he goes into it willingly throughout the day to lay down. He's already starting to get the hang of the leash, and when I clipped his nails for the first time, he was totally calm! Just sat there in my lap and waited patiently. We are starting to switch him over to eating Canidae.

I'm just so impressed with how well-behaved he is and how wonderfully he has adjusted to his new home, so I had to come and rave about my little man :p And did I mention, he is the BIGGEST cuddlebug ever? It takes every ounce of will-power in me not to let him snuggle with me on the couch! He's already following me everywhere I go.

And in case anyone recognizes me from my other threads... I did find him a GREAT puppy class! They just moved here from the UK 8 weeks ago. And a bonus: the main trainer (Darryl) and his wife have owned GSDs in the past :) Here's the website for it, in case anyone in the Orlando/Kissimme-area is interested. Check the About Us section to read up on Darryl's background.
Pawfection Dog Training - Homepage - Dog Training
Dallas and I watched his adult dog class today and I was very impressed. A yellow lab showed up for the first time and was barking, growling, pulling, and just generally extremely out of control. Darryl worked with him for 10-15 minutes and you would think it was a totally different dog. I can't wait to get him started!

And of course, pictures :wub:

Sorry for rambling :blush: But I could not have asked for a better puppy, I am so happy!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congratulations on the awesome little guy! And don't feel bad for rambling! Threads like this are what tide us over until we get our own pups! A few months from now, it will be me doing the rambling!

Who was his breeder?

More pics, please! :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
he's adorable!!! cant wait to hear more about him as he grows and learns and naturally blows our minds with how smart he is!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments, guys :) He's proving to be quite the little alligator, but otherwise, he's still doing great. I took a few more pictures today and I figured I'd share, because who doesn't love puppy photos?? His right ear has been up all day :D (that last picture is from yesterday)

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Dallas is so darn cute! :congratulations:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I taught Dallas "sit" yesterday. He was sitting on command literally within five minutes (but we worked on it for fifteen), and he is still doing it this morning... even without treats! He has also started to go to the door when he needs to potty. Such a smart boy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts