German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been working with my dogs since I have had them. Sit, down, stay, recall, touch, heel, loose leash walking, leave it. Other basic stuff. However, I want to do more with them. Living where I live I haven't found any clubs or trainers that do sports. Until last week. I just happened to drive by a facility that does SCH and obviously the advanced obedience that goes along with it. I talked to the guy for about 45 minutes. Basically I would pay for one dog then teach the others at home like I am doing now. Until we get to bite work then it's all in house. And it's affordable. The only thing is he uses no treats or toys in his training. Kind of the opposite of how I have been training all this time. Not saying his way is better or worse just don't know about it.
Today I just happened to drive by another facility and while they don't offer SCH they do offer agility, flyball, and barn hunts. I spoke with the lady there and we have almost identical training philosophies it's also affordable but not sure how to incorporate three dogs into these sports. I suppose I could have each one take a different sport. Or pick one and put them in it. Or find what they're all best at and do that. She invited me to come check out whatever I want to get an idea of them.
So that is my positive dilemma. Go with SCH that I know Athena and probably Apollo would excel at. Not sure about Rosko. Obedience he would be fine but maybe he's too soft for the bite work. Or pick another sport with the other facility.
And the different training philosophies. Anyone on here train with no treats or toys. How is it different. Just no treats or toys just an atta boy or what.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
As a multiple dog owner I can say that I have tried multiple different things with different dogs to find out what suits them best. I have been wrong on a couple occasions as to what I thought would be a good fit, so dabbling in all is not a bad idea. I have also found that they might not like or do well in one thing when younger but it changes when they get older.

Just remember that younger dogs should be careful with any kind of jumping.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I now see a trainer that has GSD and is very active in the IPO world. Can't say enough how great it is to have someone that understands your dog off the bat. My trainer has seen lots of dogs. She trains all dogs and she's active in the IPO. I am excited to move forward with her. Before this, I trained with markers and treats. I was happy with the trainers who helped me learn marker training and the intial stuff. They were great but they were just pet trainers. I sought out the new trainer as a way to challenge my dog and to see what's next. I can't get as active as I would like in the IPO world because my weekends are full of my children's activities but I'm looking forward to it as a future endeavor.
I didn't find it was a problem at all not using the clicker and treats. I thought it would have been.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I now see a trainer that has GSD and is very active in the IPO world. Can't say enough how great it is to have someone that understands your dog off the bat. My trainer has seen lots of dogs. She trains all dogs and she's active in the IPO. I am excited to move forward with her. Before this, I trained with markers and treats. I was happy with the trainers who helped me learn marker training and the intial stuff. They were great but they were just pet trainers. I sought out the new trainer as a way to challenge my dog and to see what's next. I can't get as active as I would like in the IPO world because my weekends are full of my children's activities but I'm looking forward to it as a future endeavor.
I didn't find it was a problem at all not using the clicker and treats. I thought it would have been.
I don't use clicker just treats, toys or sometimes ill just use a lot of verbal praise and play. They do well with all three. I just don't want to make it not fun for me or them. I work hard for a living. Right now I really enjoy training my dogs. It relaxes me and helps me release the stress of every day life. I just don't wanna make dog training feel like work.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a multiple dog owner I can say that I have tried multiple different things with different dogs to find out what suits them best. I have been wrong on a couple occasions as to what I thought would be a good fit, so dabbling in all is not a bad idea. I have also found that they might not like or do well in one thing when younger but it changes when they get older.

Just remember that younger dogs should be careful with any kind of jumping.
I think I'll go Check out the agility, flyball, and barn hunts. If I take a dog or two with me each time maybe they'll give me an indication of how they will do by how much they wanna join the fun.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I can't imagine training with no treats or toys...what are the rewards? Does that include tug toys? I mean I thought you did that to work up to biting on the sleeve but I have never done schutzhund so I wouldn't know.

I train my dogs because it is fun, and I have more fun when they have more fun... I use e collars and prong collars and corrections are fine if they are appropriate and the dog really knew they made a mistake.

All I can say is me personally, I wouldn't train with someone who didn't use food or toys.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I think I'll go Check out the agility, flyball, and barn hunts. If I take a dog or two with me each time maybe they'll give me an indication of how they will do by how much they wanna join the fun.
At the core you'll be learning obedience training from multiple venues. As an owner/trainer, you'll learn a lot. Sounds fun.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't imagine training with no treats or toys...what are the rewards? Does that include tug toys? I mean I thought you did that to work up to biting on the sleeve but I have never done schutzhund so I wouldn't know.

I train my dogs because it is fun, and I have more fun when they have more fun... I use e collars and prong collars and corrections are fine if they are appropriate and the dog really knew they made a mistake.

All I can say is me personally, I wouldn't train with someone who didn't use food or toys.
He did say that eventually toys are used when we would get to bite work. He seemed very qualified. Ex Marine. Where he was first introduced to dog training. I have just never trained that way. Not sure if I want to relearn all that I have learned.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rewards with praise you think?
Idk. Maybe.! I'm still undecided. One minute I'm like agility facility, the next minute I'm like SCH facility. Maybe I should take a couple obedience classes at each place then decide what I want to do long term. The SCH guy has you take a dog psychology course prior to any classes. So that may be interesting anyway.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
If you don't like his methods, find another trainer. I don't see the dilemma. Find someone who you like and work with them. If you select a trainer, plan to go in 100% or find someone else. If you use the trainer who says not to use them, but sneak in treats or toys, your results won't work the way the trainer expects and you won't be happy.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Idk. Maybe.! I'm still undecided. One minute I'm like agility facility, the next minute I'm like SCH facility. Maybe I should take a couple obedience classes at each place then decide what I want to do long term. The SCH guy has you take a dog psychology course prior to any classes. So that may be interesting anyway.
I go to an amazing trainer. I take her advice as gold. But, I want to learn as much as possible and ask her questions about other trainers. Its interesting to see different techniques and grow and learn. You have 3 dogs with different personalities and qualities. I think it will make you more rounded. I'd go to both. Just be sure to keep them consistent in your training.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you don't like his methods, find another trainer. I don't see the dilemma. Find someone who you like and work with them. If you select a trainer, plan to go in 100% or find someone else. If you use the trainer who says not to use them, but sneak in treats or toys, your results won't work the way the trainer expects and you won't be happy.
I guess my dilemma is I don't know if I like his methods cause I'm not sure what his methods are. He seems to get results. I am interested in taking his psychology course and seeing what his methods are. It can't hurt to learn other ways to train. The other trainer I understand her methods cause it's what I already do. I can just go further with her knowledge than with my own. Or at least get there quicker.
Plus there is the question of do I want to do SCH or explore the other dog sports. Before I really didn't have any options that I knew of.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I guess my dilemma is I don't know if I like his methods cause I'm not sure what his methods are. He seems to get results. I am interested in taking his psychology course and seeing what his methods are. It can't hurt to learn other ways to train. The other trainer I understand her methods cause it's what I already do. I can just go further with her knowledge than with my own. Or at least get there quicker.
Plus there is the question of do I want to do SCH or explore the other dog sports. Before I really didn't have any options that I knew of.
Can you observe him working with a dog before you decide?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you observe him working with a dog before you decide?
I am gonna call him tomorrow and see. I also think maybe I should observe some actual sports too. I do know that SCH would require a lot more travel compared to other sports I could do more locally.

·
Super Moderator
32,252 Posts
Idk. Maybe.! I'm still undecided. One minute I'm like agility facility, the next minute I'm like SCH facility. Maybe I should take a couple obedience classes at each place then decide what I want to do long term.
What sport or activity sounds the most fun to YOU? Whatever you decide to do, you'll be doing it with your dogs so it should be something you both enjoy. I will say, having a dog that took to flyball as if it were designed especially for her, we have both been having a blast. Some dogs can be more challenging to train, but if you have a chance to observe a flyball tournament or even go watch one of their classes I think you'll see how much fun all the dogs are having. I took classes with Halo for about 8-1/2 months, we were invited to join the team teaching the classes, and she raced in her first tournament a week and a half later. That was April 2012, and we're still going strong.

I guess my dilemma is I don't know if I like his methods cause I'm not sure what his methods are.
That alone makes me wary. While results are important it's just as important to me how you go about getting those results, and some places are vague about that. If it were me I'd try to observe this guy training other people's dogs, and maybe a couple different kinds of classes at the agility facility too before making a decision.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I always go and observe before I commit to a new trainer. I need to know I'll be comfortable if the trainer takes my dog to show me something and if I'll be comfortable training the way they want me to. I've never had to pay to observe and I learn a lot about if it is someone I want to work with.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I would add..don't just watch him train, watch him train a dog like yours. If you are bringing him a puppy, watch him train a puppy. If you are bringing him a dog that has never had formal training, try to watch him with a dog like that. Are the dogs happy?

And lastly, if the one trainer trains like you already train, well, sounds like a good fit? I can only offer my experience that I waited a long time to find a trainer who seemed really like what I wanted, what I want to learn, and learning from that person is awesome...I watch this person work with a dog and listen to them talk and its who I want to be if I had that knowledge and experience.

I think long and hard about who I will turn over my leash to.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't use clicker just treats, toys or sometimes ill just use a lot of verbal praise and play. They do well with all three. I just don't want to make it not fun for me or them. I work hard for a living. Right now I really enjoy training my dogs. It relaxes me and helps me release the stress of every day life. I just don't wanna make dog training feel like work.
Maybe I wasn't clear? Training is fun. It's not a drag. At least not now! Landsharking and leash pulling are not things I miss :wink2:. I always have fun with my dog when we are training. Praise, encouragement, and engagement are what I use mostly. It works. I wasn't so sure myself. I still reward and have fun with balls and tugs when we are not in a more formal training mode.

I say go with whatever you are going to have the most fun doing. I've got not much figured out and claim to be no expert. Just sharing my experience.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts