German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mya is 4.7 months and weighs 45lbs. How much do you guys think she will weigh when she's full grown? Is it possible she will be in the 70-80lbs range?..

·
Registered
596 Posts
My Mya is 4.7 months and weighs 45lbs. How much do you guys think she will weigh when she's full grown? Is it possible she will be in the 70-80lbs range?..
Not necessarily... My female weighed about that much at that age. she is now 16 months old and weighs 65 lbs. I say the 70 lb range most likely. 80... perhaps, but just speaking from my female ruby. Each dog is different, as her lineage is different than mya's as well.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
596 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a similar question...what about the size of the ears??? I have a 5 mo old and his ears are HUGE...bigger then a few adult GSDs that I have seen lately. I feed him adult food to slow the growth rate. I am just curious.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's really hard to say. At 17wks my girl weighed 43lbs, and she was 85lbs at a year old, just a couple months ago. I think she has a little filling out to do yet, and I'm expecting her to settle in somewhere between 90 and 95lbs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's really hard to say. At 17wks my girl weighed 43lbs, and she was 85lbs at a year old, just a couple months ago. I think she has a little filling out to do yet, and I'm expecting her to settle in somewhere between 90 and 95lbs.
I was thinking the about the same for my Mya. She has a Huge Torso and paws!

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
A mix of American pet lines and East German WL,Onyx was very large as a pup~ ear/paws...she went thru a few bouts of Pano til she hit a year old. It wasn't diet related(rawfed), she was just large in structure for a female.
I remember she seemed to weigh 10 more# at every month of age So at 6 months was 60+, til she hit about 8 months she finally leveled off.
Now at 4 years old she is 90# and 26" at the shoulder. Her knee knuckles were huge as a pup, along with her paws, then the ears and long tail should have been a sign that she would be way bigger than most females.

At 8 months she is pretty large in structure compared to 2 yr old(big-boned/large headed long coat) Kacie:

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Thank you Infamous! Today is Onyx's 4th gotcha day, she was a Christmas surprise for our family from my husband. What a challenge she has been in the past 4 years...between health and temperament, I've learned so very much about this breed!
Size is relative to lines and bigger isn't necessarily better. I'd much rather have a smaller agile dog than one that is over the standard for height/weight. Don't wish your pup to be bigger, believe me!

·
Registered
596 Posts
A mix of American pet lines and East German WL,Onyx was very large as a pup~ ear/paws...she went thru a few bouts of Pano til she hit a year old. It wasn't diet related(rawfed), she was just large in structure for a female.
Well then ive got a question... kinda off subject a little bit. My female has had pano off an on for about 6 months now... and it has nothing to do with size. she is a petite GSD. Any GSD i have brought her around she has always been the smaller framed petite girl.

In fact my friend Jakeandrenee, was saying that the last time we met up... How its interesting how she has had pano, being so small, and it not being her being of a larger stature...

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Weight and size, as long as they aren't overfed and are properly exercised, really depends on genetics. How big are mom and dad?

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Mrs Woodcock, what do you feed? Many times diet will play a role in Pano bouts...vitamin C will shorten the bout because it reduces inflammation. The two dogs I've had(both fed raw and not premade raw) that went thru it are large in structure, grew slow though, just huge compared to the norm.
C shortened the bout of my male bigtime. Onyx suffered thru a long one before I found out the benefits of C.
Start at 500mg human grade and up it(over a weeks time) to 2000mg daily split between meals, then that can be the maintenance dosage for the life of the dog, it won't hurt at all and has many benefits.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I don't think that Pano is related to size, structure or diet - I have a littermate to Jane's male. He is also a big dog (but not as big as Jane's dog), and is also raw fed from puppyhood, and he never had Pano. So looks like it is more an individual thing, and not related to size or feeding.

Also about the ears - five to six month old puppies always seem to have HUGE ears in relation to their overall size, but it is only an illusion due to their smaller, still growing head and body. Aspen will catch up to his ears, and they won't look so out of proportion.

Also, I have noticed that many American line GSDs have very large ears - German Show lines and Working lines tend to have samller ears compared to the American line dogs.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Weight and size, as long as they aren't overfed and are properly exercised, really depends on genetics. How big are mom and dad?
Ive got pictures.
Here is the Sire Royce:

And the Dam Questa:

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
My Shasta is 70 lbs at almost 8 months old. If she didn't gain another pound, it would be absolutely fine by me. I believe she was around 50 pounds at 5-ish months. I loved the 55 to 60 lb size!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Mrs Woodcock, what do you feed? Many times diet will play a role in Pano bouts...vitamin C will shorten the bout because it reduces inflammation. The two dogs I've had(both fed raw and not premade raw) that went thru it are large in structure, grew slow though, just huge compared to the norm.
C shortened the bout of my male bigtime. Onyx suffered thru a long one before I found out the benefits of C.
Start at 500mg human grade and up it(over a weeks time) to 2000mg daily split between meals, then that can be the maintenance dosage for the life of the dog, it won't hurt at all and has many benefits.
Well, till about a week ago i was feeding blue buffalo chicken and rice adult dog food. I had her on the large breed puppy till about 10..11 months of age. And i am now starting Raw feeding. (not pre packaged raw either)
I am still feeding them a meal of kibble here and there (either breakfast or dinner) whenever i am low on chicken leg quarters or turkey necks etc.
I also just started adding a teaspoon of kelp and alfalfa to their pumpkin in their raw meals. Her pano has yet to come back since i started the raw diet... But a bout of pano had just ended a week prior to me starting raw feedings. I heard about the vitamin C. Where can i get it at? Thanks for responding...
and sorry about hijaking the thread! :blush:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Also about the ears - five to six month old puppies always seem to have HUGE ears in relation to their overall size, but it is only an illusion due to their smaller, still growing head and body. Aspen will catch up to his ears, and they won't look so out of proportion.
LOL,,, I wasnt concerned so much. I just think he looks funny. I dant know about American vs German lines sine I didnt get him from a breeder...just an accidental litter in the country. Both parents are registered. I figure his daddy was about 70# and that's where he'll probably end up.

pic #1 Aspen...and he ears. The tip of his tail hits the ground. He's a bit over 20" at the shoulders and 41lbs as of Wed @ 5 mo.

Pic #2 is mom, dad and pups

Attachments

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think a 70lb female is a nice size. how big are her parents?
how big are her siblings?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts