German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ? Ozzy had his hips and elbows prelims and OFA’d at 12 mo. Hips good elbows normal. He will be 2 next month and not sure if I should get his finals done. We are doing IGP and Dock diving. He will not be bred.
How much if any change I. Hips and elbows can occur in 1 yr? Should I get them done or not worry?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
For both my dogs, it is required. Even if you dont breed it gives value to the lines if they produce clear progeny. So I would defer to breeder.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For both my dogs, it is required. Even if you dont breed it gives value to the lines if they produce clear progeny. So I would defer to breeder.
While I have a hip guarantee I would not want a pup if his hips came back non passing from his breeder so no worries there. He will never leave my home.

Just curious if they change after a year.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
No, I mean it isnt always about just you wanting to breed. A lot of breeders like to prove their lines out as much as possible. So they may want you to do a final OFA. Or SV. If you have no such agreement with your breeder, I wouldn't bother.

Yes they can change after a year. If something was a little off, you can see some femoral remodeling by 2 years. OR..if they were lax, they could tighten up and get a better score.

If you are not breeding, and if your breeder doesn't want the certs to prove out his breeding program,don't bother.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I mean it isnt always about just you wanting to breed. A lot of breeders like to prove their lines out as much as possible. So they may want you to do a final OFA. Or SV. If you have no such agreement with your breeder, I wouldn't bother.

Yes they can change after a year. If something was a little off, you can see some femoral remodeling by 2 years. OR..if they were lax, they could tighten up and get a better score.

If you are not breeding, and if your breeder doesn't want the certs to prove out his breeding program,don't bother.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
limited exp with GSD x rays, but in the many many labs that i’ve worked with... i’ve more often seen questionable or borderline hips improve beyond prelims. i’d be satisfied with good / normal. outside of the circumstances Comet mentioned.... i wouldn’t bother.

Reactions: Thecowboysgirl

·
Registered
233 Posts
The OFA has posted studies that show with good or above hip prelims, they found that there is a 90% + chance that they will still be normal after 24 months of age. If they were done at 12 months of age or above then it raises to something like 97%. Therefore the recommendation would be not to do any further x-rays unless there was a need to or if the results came back as fair or below.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts