German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shattered.
I have been dealing with a housing/harassment problem since I posted a thread back in Oct/2017 (about my landlord and upstairs reno)
Fast forward to newest upstairs neighbor who moved in end of Apr./2019. We were getting along great. Something went weird shortly after a hearing I had in Sept/2019 against the LL for prior issues. This did not go ahead, but tried to mediate with the LL paralegal.
Short end of the story...I made the mistake of saying him and I got along great! AND we did, and with a mutual respect to each other...
Approx 2 weeks later (around start of Oct.) He seemed to be getting louder and thumping across my ceiling, started slamming his front door, stomping on the stairs up to his unit...
By Oct 25th (a whole other story), he had a gathering of a few people, who, either a guest or him, smashed my ceiling so hard 8x between 10:30pm and midnight, I felt like I had been punched in the chest, the shock/jolt from being that startled!
By Nov. He was losing it on my ceiling screaming obscenities at me (witnessed). I had done nothing. But for some reason he was all twisted up where I was concerned. A landlord issue (they want me out)

So. I bought a recording device. It is a USB stick 8gb...called Memoq-U350. Simple enough to use, can be set to sound activated.
By Dec. This guy has started taking to smashing my ceiling in the middle of the night, every night (almost) for 135 days now. He took to vacuuming at midnight (can feel bed vibrating from this), slamming his door at all hrs overnight, coming home from work around 10pm, smashing around on front porch, stairs, across ceiling, then blasts music...
I set up the recorder in my bedroom to capture the blows above my bed.
I had named all the recordings I kept, I just had to figure out how to create folders to best present as evidence when time came.
Apr. 20th, something happened to the voice recorder (USB stick) and ALL 300++ recordings are gone. I did not delete over 300 files by mistake.
I think this is a Windows 10 issue messed this up.
The E drive (usb) when in computer showed up as Memoq...when you open it, there is a Voice folder....that housed all the recordings. There is also a date/time stamp configuration to reset the device after charging so you had true evidence.
This .cfg is gone, not accessible, and the named device (memoq), now just says USB (E) and all the files gone.
The device still recorded overnight after this happened. Yesterday, I spend all day researching or on phone with 2 diff people hoping to find a recovery for this.
No I did not save to my computer

Has anyone lost files on USB and recovered? Anyone tech savvy that can help direct me to a recovery program that is trusted? The files had to have gone somewhere.
I SMH at my stupidity, so please no woulda shoulda coulda comments.
Please help

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Sometimes the people who do data recovery ($$$) can use their expensive tools to get this stuff back. It's usually not something mere mortals at home can do, unfortunately, as the drive has to be connected to a special tool/software that can pull even deleted data off (as long as it hasn't been overwritten) -- it's the same tool used by law enforcement to recover electronic data after bad guys think they've wiped hard drives. The data is rarely really gone.

Flash drives do have a tendency to get corrupted. I learned that the flash drives need to be regularly backed up the hard way too, when I lost some important work on one a few years ago -- so I feel your pain! Some work that I'd literally spent months on disappeared when that little flash drive stopped working -- that experience is what drove me to a cloud service to access my files from anywhere. My device error was catastrophic in that my device fried itself -- when the data recovery guy got it, he put it under a microscope, and there was visible scorching. Yours sounds like it still works fine, so it's a software-reading error probably -- which they can get around with the right tool.

So that data is still probably there. Don't panic yet. I would get a second device to use though so that this one doesn't somehow overwrite your old data if you keep recording. My friend who does data recovery work for law enforcement and big corps said the best thing you can do is disconnect it and stop messing with it until the recovery professionals can get their hands on it because you can do more damage to the data by accident.

If that's not in the cards, the second best thing might be if you have any techy contacts who use Linux and can just get into the raw data to "see" the contents without relying on Windows file system software, that may help at least figure out what's there -- they maybe could even extract out whatever they see and copy it over to a DVD for you. It might just be Windows file system error crud.

In the meantime, get out a spiral notebook and look at your log file -- if you can find the time stamps of the old files, take a few hours and reconstruct what you remember for each of those dates, writing a few sentences for each one. Do this while it's still fresh, working backward from the most recent (freshest in your memory) to the oldest ones. Your memory/handwritten logs might be accepted as a substitute for your lost data.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG! I did it!!!
I hope I am not doing the happy dance too soon...all date and time stamps are lost, as well the files I kept I had named, the naming is lost too (there were 900 approx. I chose to delete b/c they were of my furnace or me snoring, lol)
I recovered 399 files using a free recovery program that allows 1GB...my files came to around 847mb.
I initially had 2.2 GB (with the chosen deleted ones included) , but since only allowed 1GB, I found out how to filter out the deleted, so I was able to recover the "lost files" (the ones I wanted that disappeared)..and they were lost - not deleted...
I saved to file, then I did a test on the first one. Opened it in windows media player and there it was, a recording of 4 blows to my ceiling (his floor)
I went through the list and randomly selected and tested about 20 or so more files...every single one worked.

There is more to the story. But gotta take Lil out.
Lots work ahead again.
But crossing fingers I got back the most egregious ones....I would think so, they were kept for that reason
Yay Me! LOL
^^^And when I tell you the rest of the story you will get this comment!

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have about 10 days of work ahead of me to review the recordings and name them again. Some I will likely have to dump b/c they don't make sense anymore to me or how to present.
Why 10 days? It takes an hour or so to review the day/night before recordings which total 30-40...
I have to review, name, delete the last few days, and stay on top of the new daily recordings. Thankfully, he let up a bit since this happened. Yesterday was gong show though.
Then I aim to go through about 40 lost recordings - maybe more. Should be easier as I know (at least I think) they are already what I intended to use. Not some random ones I have to go through to find the usable ones. For example, 30-40 recordings might yield 3x he smashed my ceiling between 2am and 5am...I did get smart and would speak the time and say, why is he doing this...so these should be proof. As well vacuuming at midnight...I hope these were recovered.
Wish me luck, 4.5 months of being terrorized by neighbour and all the time and expense involved could not have been in vain.
I need something to go right. Perhaps the files being restored (if most are) is the start.

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
Gator - you are tenacious! When does this become so not worth it for you? This has been a discussion for some time. I'd find the situation too stressful and look for something else. Life's short.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the story behind the "Yay me" !!!
I cower at technology. It scares me. But I am good at researching if this was possible. I just don't understand how to do/try the suggestions I read, and well, b/c it scares me that if I mess up, things could get a lot worse....Just about everyone told me it was a lost cause. Except Maggie above (TY).

Apr. 20th - 10pm is when I realized the files vanished, the stick was converted to "just usb" not memoq, and the date/time .cfg along with my files were gone. I texted my friends son who is a computer genius. No reply.

Apr. 21st - I text my friend to advise what happened and ask if she knows if her son is working during covid. She finds out that he is, but asks if maybe her other son can help (he is more of know it all, that well...doesn't). We spend an hour on the phone, the genius even calls and speaks with other son, and they both determine that lost is lost. But they both don't truly understand w/o first getting on a computer and researching and trying along with me. I ask son I am talking to about trying a free recovery program...he says no, that won't work only if you had on the computer. You lost the files. They are done. Start over. - I am not satisfied with this

I call my brother. I tell him what has happened and what has been going on for past few months (he knew nothing about the harassment). He does some searching and we try a cmd prompt retrieval, but doesn't work. He says download minitool and try that. I am scared of doing downloads. So I don't.

Apr. 22nd - I text a young man who fixed my computer when windows 7 ended - I asked if he was and when available next day to see if he could help me. He replies to call around 330pm.

Apr. 23rd - I call 2 places about USB data recovery...they give me a grim picture. The first guy I spoke to was kinda can't be bothered answering my questions. The second one, said it sounds like I formatted it and there was maybe a 25% chance of getting it back. I ask both at the time if they were open during covid. Yes. So I figured if my windows guy can't help I will go to them.
330pm - I call my guy. He accesses my computer remotely, runs an adaware, malwarebytes and windows update, checks the stick folder. Nothing. But nothing came back as virus attack. So that was good. I tell him about couple free recovery I read...he installs Minitool. Runs it. Returns 881 files. But cannot access files. So he says, seems only free to try, but if you want the files, you have to pay to get. We had been back and forth on this and reran it couple times...spent over 4 hrs. My internet went down. Crap. Time to walk Lil, feed myself and call it a night. He said we will pick up tomorrow where we left off at about the same time.

Apr. 24th - About 11am I head out to tech #2 - he seemed more helpful on the phone. 40 min drive. I get there. I want to ask a few questions and explain the incidents that lead to this in the event it was a computer glitch, which I brought with me. He starts to write up a ticket while I'm talking. Gives me nothing to go on and thinks I am just going to leave a $250 device in his clutches. While I am talking he just walks away from me and goes out of site - total disrespect. I stop talking. He comes back in view and looks at me, doesn't speak - just does the arms out, gives me this attitude look like saying "what do you want" - like I was bothering him...this all within 4 mins of being there. I just said "you know what. I'm just going to leave"...I turned and walked away, and behind me he chirps off "GOOD IDEA"
I GPS the 1st tech I spoke to and head there.
He ended up being fantastic in person (phone, not so great). Very warm helpful, wanted to know what was happening (he and his wife were victims to neighbour harassment by a cop and finally had to sell their house). He plugged in my stick and told me to come back in an hour (we hadn't even discussed a price) - so off to Walmart to utilize my time for things I needed.
When I returned, he again, took the time to explain how recovery works, the broken paths to help my understand why his several hundred dollar program was only able to yield 160 files...76 of which were new that were written over b/c I didn't know better at the time this all happened (apr. 20th)
He put the files on a stick. Wished me well. Charged me 20 bucks. Which was very generous, as retrieval seemed to start at 100 bucks on his site. He did say, I could still try freeware, but was doubtful would recover anything usable.
I have now resided that if a pro cannot get back, I am doomed. I have basically w/o looking at about 80 files. Also not date, time or named.

330pm. My guy calls, we link up his remote access, I tell him about the recovery guy I went to. We try run program again. Cannot access, have to purchase. We try another, same. Try another and it returns that I have 590 broken files, but not recovered files...I think at this point, my guy seems in line with what the pro said. He did his best. We even tried the cmd prompt. spent a couple hours. We gave up. We both resided that the files were not retrievable. He was about to uninstall Minitool, but I said, no leave it, I want to look at it later.
He charged me 30 bucks for about 6 hrs of help...I e-transferred him 50 b/c he was just so great and I knew this kind of service was worth a lot more.
At this point. I am now broken. I am mad at myself, but also mad at the situation I am in, and heartbroken to say the least...My plan for the next day was to go to the guy who sold me this (colorful words) thing. I had spoke with him same day as the 2 techs...he said the files are gone - start over.

Apr. 25th...I am slow moving. Hadn't slept in days. I keep going back to sites trying too figure out why free isn't free. So I run the program one more time, my last hurrah before I take device back to the sales guy. While its searching I click on a link in the search field that starts explaining about the saving, the filters, what this or that means.
Search is done. I do filter for lost files only. Won't save. Have to purchase, this is a trial run...I look at the price - uh, nope. So I decide to try my luck by uninstalling this, I go to CNET and download what says is the "free one"...it looks identical...except across the top bar it says minitool 8.8 free edition - not trial edition.

So I run it, I recover 925 files (now some are new), I do the filter for lost files (by un-checking deleted)...it pulls 399, I click save...and window pops up to select where I want to save (cannot preview before saving, once you use the full GB, its' no good unless you upgrade to paid)...I'm like, really? Did this just really happen? Now I am saying to myself...well, there is no guarantee that any will be usable according to CNET, minitool, the tech guy, the sales guy, the others...
And as I already mentioned, I selected random ones to test and every single one worked.
But I am still scared at a chance of a fail.

6 people told me it could not be done

So Yay Me!!! I just wouldn't listen...lol

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gator - you are tenacious! When does this become so not worth it for you? This has been a discussion for some time. I'd find the situation too stressful and look for something else. Life's short.
Well, with the current rental market being in the less than 1% vacancy rate with a $1000.00 per month increase (12 grand a year) above what I am paying...the inability to afford a roof over my head and face homelessness. You have to fight back...
Plus bullies should never win ;)

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Soooo...so far, mostly fail.
I went through 107 recordings. It seems the "lost files" were not true to being the lost files. There were deleted ones in there too. And some fairly old - like a recording of the news talking about "now 1200 cases in the U.S."
Of the 399, it, so far has included some of the 107 (ironic #) that was written over, that I thought was part of a different block I didn't include in the filter.
It also took some recordings apart. For example a convo with a lawyer that was 30 mins long...I found it broken down to 1 file - 5 mins, another 12.32 etc.
However, the 1, 2, 3 min recordings all seem to be true to what they are. Sadly, most are useless and were chosen deleted

Of the 107 so far, I salvaged a whopping 14 :(
:rolleyes:
But I did retrieve what I feel was a very important one. One the LL is going to have a hard time back peddling on.
Hopefully the next 292 yield better results

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Good luck! Believe me, I know only too well what it's like to lose files!

It really pays to use google cloud or dropbox to store files you can't afford to lose!

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got through another 112 recordings today (+25 others from overnight - he was a busy little antagonist)...
As I mentioned yesterday about how 30 min recordings were broken down into diff size segments,
well today it was the opposite, recordings were merged...I had so many 4 min, 22 sec. files...none of which were true to that timeline...for some reason that program loved to add on recordings of my furnace for half of it...some sounded like 3 different times were involved. It was a long listening session b/c of. But was a rain day and I wasn't going anywhere, so I plugged away at it.
I was able to retrieve 24 of evidence - some included the furnace for last half, but no biggy, the premise is there. Some are very valuable to my claims.
I also got 6 more broken apart ones to do with legal advice.
All in all I was happy I recovered the ones I did. They were ones I was most afraid I lost. There is a couple more I would most like to get...180 more to go. Hoping they are there and not the furnace...lol
I also have the 80 I got from the computer guy to review - these are considered not broken ones...but they could still be of the furnace.
Plugging away again tomorrow - but I have to go out

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't get through any recordings yesterday. I had to go out to get some food and lotto and beer, lol. When back, dude was up and crashing around, he had the day off.
I listened to the overnight recordings, but was difficult to determine if I was picking up banging on recording while he was thumping my ceiling. So I abandoned it for the day.
He gets up around 1pm...so I have few hrs now (10am) to get through last nights and then work on the lost ones.
My LL is here in his shop. Every single day he comes here...and has had 5 different meetings here in the last 2 weeks. He just doesn't respect the stay home order, the physical distancing, or public health.
off to work I go sifting through the nonsense

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Hey Gator, I'm so sorry you are dealing with neighbor issues. I've been through the wringer myself. It is no fun!

Just a note of caution for anyone reading- I don't know your laws in Canada- but make sure to check with a lawyer if you are recording conversations. Some states in the USA are one-party consent, but others are two-party consent (my state is one). So, here, if you are recording a conversation, both parties need to consent to it or the evidence will be rejected and you could be charged with a fairly serious crime, if they wanted all the way to felony level. Again, depending on your laws and interpretation (case law). You may be able to post signs saying "audio and video surveillance on premises" to help, but again talk to a lawyer.

Also, be aware no judge is interested in listening to a bunch of recordings. It's good to have some examples but you'd be better served keeping a daily written log noting the time, type of disturbance, who is involved, and so on. A written log like this is solid, admissible evidence, easy to review by the courts.

Good luck with this ! Again, I'm sorry you are stressed out and I hope you can come to an amicable solution. Have you thought about asking for mediation to start? Going to court is expensive, messy, time consuming, stressful and may not result in the solution you were hoping for- mediation can go a long way in resolving issues.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Gator, I'm so sorry you are dealing with neighbor issues. I've been through the wringer myself. It is no fun!

Just a note of caution for anyone reading- I don't know your laws in Canada- but make sure to check with a lawyer if you are recording conversations. Some states in the USA are one-party consent, but others are two-party consent (my state is one). So, here, if you are recording a conversation, both parties need to consent to it or the evidence will be rejected and you could be charged with a fairly serious crime, if they wanted all the way to felony level. Again, depending on your laws and interpretation (case law). You may be able to post signs saying "audio and video surveillance on premises" to help, but again talk to a lawyer.

Also, be aware no judge is interested in listening to a bunch of recordings. It's good to have some examples but you'd be better served keeping a daily written log noting the time, type of disturbance, who is involved, and so on. A written log like this is solid, admissible evidence, easy to review by the courts.

Good luck with this ! Again, I'm sorry you are stressed out and I hope you can come to an amicable solution. Have you thought about asking for mediation to start? Going to court is expensive, messy, time consuming, stressful and may not result in the solution you were hoping for- mediation can go a long way in resolving issues.
I really appreciate your advice and want to reply to this so your efforts and time aren't in vain...Lots to address with what you said and was/is very helpful...but, I was very busy.
I managed to get through all 399 by end of yesterday...I did 68 day before which took forever and 180 yesterday, which somehow was much easier...I thought I would split over 2-3 days, but easy peasy....got lots back of him smashing my ceiling.
My brother is coming out to help me tomorrow... He is irate that this has been going on for close to 150 days now. He is going to call police and file a complaint while here (and go up one side and down the other) that they are not addressing and demand something be started against him - I was going to apply for a peace bond before evidence went kaput.
Dude was quiet last night mostly. Tonight came in quiet. But I vacuumed at noon today, so we will see if there is retaliation...so far music up a bit....but not trashing ceiling

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well. My brother came out. What an exhausting day. He may have made the situation worse in some aspects, but helpful in others. He got to witness first hand this guys rage. He was disgusted with the police handling of the situation and wrote a letter to the superintendent of police, and c.c'd a few other higher ups and an abuse against woman group (which is under legal aid)...the abuse group emailed back and advised to start the peace bond application immediately, and to go after the LL at the landlord tenant board (which is what has been done, and in lockdown with covid and part of reason they are doing this - retaliation).

So I am off shortly to go to the court house, see a justice of the peace and find out what/who I need to bring to get this going (peace bond). I hope the crown agrees and pursues this.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today was a bust. Covid is screwing everything up

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So going back to the USB fiasco...I stashed all I could use on 2 diff sticks and 2 folders and my brother has copies. The problem I had with the furnace coming on half way through a 4.22 recording, well, my brother found this mp3 edit site - so easy, not even a download. It shows the spikes in sound so you can listen there to see if relevant noise. So now have to edit and name...some I can date b/c specific to other I can prove...like call to police. I'll post the link, super easy and handy to have.

Now...lol, the 2nd man I went to see who recovered 80 lost files of 167 (the other written over files) claiming this expensive program only finds unbroken ones (the free program gave me broken and patched together ones...but 399)..I plugged it in hoping to find some really important ones I didn't get back...NOT A ONE...167 files - the 20 bucks i paid was for the new files i already had and 80 at 0 (zero) kilobytes WTH!!!
I am so glad I figured out the free program
The link I mentioned about editing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts