German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to teach Zoe her figure 8's. She is in intermediate again due to her reactivity. We've been working on it an she will do her left turns (or back) around the cones but she will not keep up with me on the right turns. She lags behind.

This is my GSD who is reactive and is not treat driven at all. So treats don't help. And she does not focus on me hardly at all. So I'm really lost on how to get her up beside me.

Do any of you guys/gals have some words of wisdom that I can try with her on the right turns around the cones. I figured the second time around she would get it, but it's not happening.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
We just worked on them tonight in class- I had to pick up my pace for Stosh, he was very interested in the puppy class and wasn't paying attention to me. I gave a few quick tugs on the leash, lots of encouragement and moved faster so he thought something new was going on.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Make the right hand turn first. When they just start is when you have their attention, they will stay with you and stay where they should and not drift to far away . When it comes time to make the left part of the turn then they are on the inside of you so you kind of force them to go left if they are not paying attention to you. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. She does good with her left turns, stays with me. But her right turns are really bad. She looks at everything but me. But she's like this all the time in class.

I got some pylons and we practice now in the back yard when the sun goes over the house..(way too hot otherwise)

I've tried faster, slower and in between. The slower I go seems to work for her but I need her to pick up the pace. Maybe just more excercises with her will help, more reps. I don't know. I will try some tugs on the leash, and more encouragement this time and see how she does. I thought there might be some secret trick.. lol

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
What kind of treats are you trying? I have a male that wasn't treat driven, he will refuse anything I offer except for freeze dried liver. I thought about using a pigs ear for my girl Lakota, or steak, we are having a heeling issue. Actually the focus part. My trainer also had me kind of make her leap up a little for the treat when we start off, she lingers a bit behind. Also the little tug "come on let's go".
What about practicing before meals when she might be hungry.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
When I was watching the obedience trials every one made the left turn first.

I can't remember what my instructor told us. When making the right turn the dog has to speed up to keep up with you. I think she told us to slow down, and take smaller steps when coming around the right cone. When going left, you dog has to slow down, and you need to take smaller, faster steps.

Does this make sense? I really can't remember but would like to know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts