German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in obtaining literature pertaining too GSD breeding, also pedigree analyzing and punnet analyzing. Majorly interested in breeding shepherds at some point in my life and have received a lot of great information here, but the extreme technical information regarding analyzing punnet tables between parents and many other fields of study im interested in i cannot find content on that seems too be legitimate or well sourced.

Please only respected authors and not links too websites as I find the internet to be filled with over opinionated fiction.

Thank You

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
GSD Genetic History by Malcolm Willis

For learning about basic modes of inheritance and punnet squares, any decent basic genetics book will teach you that. The fundamentals of genetics are not specific to any breed.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Breeding dogs is as much an art as it is a science. Different dogs (and different bloodlines) bring their own unique characteristics to the table. To add more to it, many characteristics are polygenic and are difficult to pin down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Breeding dogs is as much an art as it is a science. Different dogs (and different bloodlines) bring their own unique characteristics to the table. To add more to it, many characteristics are polygenic and are difficult to pin down.
I would imagine so, i know in botany cubing the punnet square is rather easy with large volumes - so i'd imagine when liters aren't very big and heats are limited along with the well being of the dam it could make locking down or passing on traits a task in its self.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts