German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a gsd shes 6months old born on December 31, 2012 her name is Sadie has akc papers

The questions are...
I was told she was from a German bloodline how can I tell? Just look at the history on akc?

Currently feeding her what my 11 week old pit is eatting diamonds puppy is that okay or should I get her diffent food?

Started doing clicker training and shes doing good but what kind of treats should I give that are good for her?

She barks at people and just randomly wondering if there was any good way to limit her barking some

Also if you have any good advice about gsd or equipment like collars harness or toys I would love to hear about it the more the info the better

·
Registered
478 Posts
She is gorgeous! Congratulations and many happy years with her!i I do not know about bloodlines , etc . I'm sure others will help you out with that .

Currently feeding her what my 11 week old pit is eatting diamonds puppy is that okay or should I get her diffent food?
I would feed her large breed puppy food . It is better for her joint and bone health . In the absence of a LBP food I would give her adult food . That is my opinion .

Started doing clicker training and shes doing good but what kind of treats should I give that are good for her?

I personally like freeze dried liver. It is not messy , and you can break it up into tiny little slivers and they still find it a high reward treat.

She barks at people and just randomly wondering if there was any good way to limit her barking some

I like to use the "watch me " command for stuff like that and for fixating. Fun and easy to teach . I take the treat and hold it by my face and say "watch me" . Click when they are making eye contact and treat for it . I then progress to holding their gaze (using the treat ) while walking . They get treated for maintaining attention on me. It is a good foundation command. In my opinion. I'm not a dog trainer , I learned it under another trainer , and it has worked for me.

Also if you have any good advice about gsd or equipment like collars
harness or toys I would love to hear about it the more the info the better

I use a prong . You have to know how to fit it and use it correctly though! It is not for every dog . I would not use it on a fearful dog . I also use a backup collar , I have seen the best of them come apart , then your dog is off leash when you least want them to be. Look up Leerburg products..I bought their prong collar leash ( it has a double attachment so you can secure it to a backup collar ) . You really do need to educate yourself on proper use of a prong if you go that route.

For the backup collar , I use a 1" quality flat collar. This is what has his ID tags on it and such. It is unsafe to leave a dog unattended with a collar , but a flat , wide , leather collar is a bit less of a snag/twist collar. When unsupervised, no collar is the safest way to go ..but then you have to rely on the microchip for id'ing if they get out ( or someone lets them or steals them) . It is a personal choice , there is a downside to each way unfortunately .

For toys I like a Kong with a thin layer of treat pasted in there , natural shin bones with filling ( they also have natural ones with some dried meat and stuff on them ) , I also like those animals you can stuff with an empty plastic bottle ( they are supervised only toys though ) . I like them because when I am on the computer or something I can HEAR when he stops crunching it and moves onto something else lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im thinking about starting her on the diamonds natural lamb and rice I read that a few people like that.

She def loves water bottles I give them to her when we go on car rides

I like the liver idea might try it.

Thanks for the advice really apprciate it :)

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
She looks like one from East German line, she even look like my Lucy very much - tall ears, the way her eyes were set, the whole facial expression. Their spine is straight, they are bigger than other GSD types, bulkier trotters, and they are more agressive than their Western brothers (what is too early to say yet). The majority of German line dogs are easy to train, that is typical of them, train absolutely anything.
Myself, I consider prong absolutely unnecessary. I use wide martingale leather collars and harness for training:
For walking: Wide Leather Martingale Dog Collar with Sheepskin Lining

For training:2 ply leather agitation dog collar with handle-C33 [C33##1073 Leather Collar with handle] - $39.90 : Dog harness , Dog collar , Dog leash , Dog muzzle - Dog training equipment from Trusted Direct Source - Home, Dog Supplies

Buy Attack Training Leather Dog Harness | Walk Large/Medium Breeds

Get Nylon Dog Harness | Pulling Training Tracking Sar Harnesses

Couple of leashes, for walking/tracking:
Custom Leather Dog Leashes and Leads
and for training "Heel" I use a traffic leash:
Amazon.com: Black Shock Absorbing Leather Dog Short Traffic Leash 20" Long for Large to XLarge Breeds: Pet Supplies
You should start training her to wear a muzzle. You can put everything on puppies, but you cannot put a muzzle on an adult dog, so, better to get one now while she is young. Use soft readjustable one:
New Royal Nappa Padded Leather Dog Muzzle M63 | eBay

I use the bounciest, the toughest of balls, medium size:
Amazon.com: ChuckIt! Medium Ultra Balls 2.5-Inch, 2-Pack: Pet Supplies
But, toys are a very special subject, it could be better to discuss it separately.
Treats? The best treat - is your sweet voice and your precious attention.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
you can tell from her pedigree what her 'lines' are.

For me, she looks like american lines.

Very pretty:)

I never feed puppy food, I always go straight to adult and right now feed Diamond Naturals..

Have fun with her..Do you have a pedigree you can post? Someone will be able to tell you from her ped what lines she is..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah shes a lot bigger than most gsd I see

For the more aggressive part she only hurts flies our 11week pitbull trys to play with her all the time n she litely bites her and plays

Ill defentaly go shopping for her some stuff when I get my next paycheck she has a cheap harness and a 1" flat collar now just don't think ill be getting the prong unless I have to

I don't have the pedagree on hand I still have to send the paper in but ill def post that when I get it ive wanted a gsd for along time and got her for a GREAT deal

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
OP, you can post the names of her parents and see if anyone recognizes something. Maybe plug them into Pedigreedatabase and see what comes up.

You really don't need a bunch of expensive equipment. A flat collar and a nylon leash are perfectly okay. Make sure they are of good quality, because the super cheap stuff will break. I like leather leashes, and use then exclusively on my adult dogs. I don't use them on puppies because puppies chew leashes and I don't want my leather leashes chewed on. So for puppies I use nylon.

I know a lot of people use harnesses on their puppies. A lot of people even use them on their adult dogs. I don't like the traditional harnesses (the kind that has the leash clip on the back) because those encourage a dog to pull on leash and so much of my effort is focused on teaching them not to pull. Why use equipment that encourages the behavior I don't want?

I make my own long line by purchasing snaps and 30 feet of rope at the hardware store. I like a certain "feel" for the rope, so I can get the rope that feels right to me. It is much, much cheaper.

I think each dog has it's own personal preference when it comes to toys. My GSD loves his skunk tail. It is a lightly stuffed black and white "tail" with a squeaker embedded in the stuffing. At the narrow "head" part of the tail it has a tennis ball inside a furry sack. I can use it for tug, it throws really well, it squeaks and it is very easy to handle. Perfect for training! My Australian Shepherd hates it. So experiment with your girl and find out what kind of toys turn her own the best. And when you find one that she is really, really crazy for? Keep that one back and only use it for training.

I switch my puppies over to a good adult food by the time they are 6 months old. Most often I make the switch by 5 months. My GSD has allergies and needs grain free because of it.

If you haven't gotten signed up for a good obedience class, now is the time to do it. Her barking could be from over stimulation, fear or just simple lack of socialization. Or a mix of all three. Getting into a good training class will be so helpful. Learning how to time your commands is very important, and knowing when to back off and when to push a little will be key in dealing with the barking. Different causes require different responses and training methods. Having an experienced trainer on hand will make the process easier, and you'll have a better outcome. I made my dog's fearful reactions much worse because I responded in the wrong fashion.

She looks like American pet lines to me. She looks like she will be a lot of fun to work with. I love her bright, engaged expression.

Good luck with her. And don't forget to have fun!
Sheilah

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats a lot of great information! :)

I was thinking about taking her to an obedience class what all does it consist of, how long and how much is it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so I got the sire and dams names here there sound german and I found the dam on pedagree lookup but not sire

Sire-Olso Feigel

Dam- Zita Von Der Salztalblick

What do you guys think or can find?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts