German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to keep Deja's brain alive I thought of some variations in fetch.
1. On our forested property: Sit in heel position-give her the ball to hold, heel, sit. Release the ball by dropping it. Then; leave it and heel away from the ball, making turns etc. Stay and I walk away from her, come in front, heel position. Then: FIND IT! And she is off like a rocket. Initially she couldn't remember the ball when I moved too far from it so I had to build up the distractions and distance from the ball.

2. Heel while she holds the ball, sit or down, drop the ball, heel. Down-Stay and I go back to the ball. I get the ball and continue walking away from her, hide it and walk back to her. Halfway I call her to me in a heel position and walk away from the ball. Then in a walk :FIND IT! That last part was tricky as she could have easily run me over.

The variations are endless and also fun. These exercises are good for her general focus as well. And she forgets about the forest residents as a bonus.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Great ideas! On reading the thread heading, I was anticipating Deja throwing the ball, my brain function has me shaking my head at times .....

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great ideas! On reading the thread heading, I was anticipating Deja throwing the ball, my brain function has me shaking my head at times .....
Ha, ha, but she can actually do this: down on the stair's landing while I am sitting down stairs. She shoves the ball and watches it bounce down the stairs (cute face!) towards me. I either throw it back for her to catch it and repeat the game or I throw it away in the basement and release her to find it. It's the reason we have commercial carpet there.
I love playing with her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts