German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a ferret? I had one when dh and I first got together. I know someone who is trying to rehome one and I know that if introduced properly and always supervised they can get along with cats. I have also read that dogs with high "vermin" type prey drive wont do well with ferrets. I am not so sure about a GSD though? My dog gets on great with the cats but a ferret is a whole other ball game?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
We have a ferrett with our 4 dogs. As long as its one on one with the ferret and one dog supervised they seem to be ok. The dogs are very curious as to what he is scurrying around on the floor but with a quick "leave it" they back off and just watch. BUT, the ferret in the plastic ball is a whole nother ball game! LOL When the ferret is in his ball he knows the dog cant hurt him so he rams the dogs legs until they start to push him around in his ball. Its qiute comical to watch, great entertainment when i have guests over. Honestly, as long as they are properly introduced, and know their boundries with it, i think they should be ok... Otherwise, just put the dogs up when the ferret is out, babygate them off in different rooms. Be sure to introduce each individual dog to the ferret, not all of them at once, they group together and get each other all worked up and it will be a complete mess.

·
Registered
339 Posts
we used to have one years ago that my yorkie-poo would carry around by his scruff and they would also play together. The were best friends....but I wouldn't trust most dogs to be that way!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a ferret, but he resides upstairs in his own room. My GSD is only allowed upstairs when I'm there. The ferret stays in his room behind a 3.5 foot tall plexiglass gate. Max (GSD) will hold vigil there, lying down watching the ferret for hours on end, with an occasional whine. Ive held the ferret and had Max sniff all over, and had the ferret sniff max. I've also had the ferret walking around with me keeping the dog along side of me at all times. I KNOW Max will use his paws to try and tackle the little fert, no doubt. He tries to do that to the cat when she walks away from him occasionally, but he knows she will inflict pain, so he is wary!
Remember, most ferrets are fearless, and that can get them in trouble, so supervision is a must!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ailyn, Thanks. I dont know if I would keep this ferret or just help out IF I need to. We only have one dog and the cats. The two seniors stay upstairs and the two other cats would be fine (I Think!). Also, with a young child in the house all activity would have to be supervised anyway. I bet alot of it depends on the dogs personality as well. Well, if I help out and give a temp home to this little guy I'll post pictures! Hopefully, the situation will change and my friend can keep the ferret.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again everyone! I miss my ferret Cody! She passed away many years ago and I swore I would never have another. She was the first pet for dh and I 17 years ago. So when I heard of this ferret maybe needing a home I first thought of me and then thought of Bella! We'll see...Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Great question!

They are awfully adorable critters!

My Katie saw her first ferret in a pet store in Feb. She was VERY interested in it! She's good with cats, so I wondered how she would be one-on-one with one. It's neat that others here have/are doing it successfully!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: JenniferHMy dog gets on great with the cats but a ferret is a whole other ball game?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
My dogs get along great with the cats too. But ANYTHING small and furry is to be "done away with" as far as they are concerned. Though I will admit, that while they DID have the "desire" to "get small critters" since puppyhood, this behaviour has been also ENOURAGED.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I believe if you put a bell collar on the fert, or any other small pet, the GSD could come to regard it as part of the pack, instead of something they might chase outside.
Just a thought. I don't know how accurate that would be. Both my ferret and the cat have a bell collar.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Our ferret passed away this fall.

While my dogs have a repectable prey drive and have been known to eat any rodents they happen upon....they did pretty well with our ferret. However, IMO, the sheer size difference alone dictates that it's not a good idea to leave them unsupervised. Personally, I would only allow them to interact when somebody's there to keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of your responses. We went to visit the ferret last night at his home. Without Bella. For right now there is no immediate rush for rehoming so hes safe and happy where he is. My dd thought this ferret was the greatest thing ever. I think we will help out if there is no other option and the owner cant keep him. But I remembered from back when we had our ferret all those years ago and they really can be alot of work! I have lots of bites and scratches from just last night! Bella gave us all a major check over when we got home. Sniffing and licking and grunting! It was pretty funny to watch.

khurley, your right the size difference is huge. Even if Bella were playing she could do some serious damage. If we need to help out we will but only as a last resort. Thats a handful I am not sure I need right now...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts