German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Fern GSD 5yrs, Chloe the Cat
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom walks Fern in the morning. There is this one dude with a field lab and standard poodle, very well trained. My mom was curious to see his dogs off leash and fully under control so she asked how he did that. Ecollar work on the poodle and choco lab is some sort of working dog.

Fern saw the 2 dogs playing, Mom made a judgment call and let Fern go play with them while dragging the leash. Fern sniffed around with them and they all just trotted together off-leash. They were doing a pack walk on their own. Apparently, the morning group's dogs are very well trained. They are either reliable or on leash. All the dogs are very well mannered. The protocol in the group is if they see someone with a dog (that they don't know), all dogs are recalled immediately until the stranger dog and owners pass. All the dogs in the group check in with their owners. They are very social and read cues from other dogs well. Each dog owner watches their dog very closely.

Fern beat one of the dogs on the recall, that dog turned on a dime. It started raining so everyone went home. It was very pleasant.

I'm glad my mom found some like-minded dog owners. I'm not sure how many of these people are in the morning group, I'm glad she found a safe group for Fern. Fern was apparently very relaxed, polite, and gentle.

Our training:

Fern has been given the privilege of dragging a long line. Recall practice with a 50 ft longline. We have been doing 40~ minute walks with 4-6 recalls, lots of yummies like cheese and chicken. Fern has a better relationship with my mom than I do, she naturally gravitates to mom which is awesome! Fern has so much love to give, my mom is convinced Fern can read minds.

Here is a picture from my walk in the afternoon. It's the same park from the morning. You can see the giant oak trees, some are even 5+ feet across. They keep this side of the park as a nature preserve. Park is about 30+ acres.

Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Cloud
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Natural landscape Tree

·
Registered
Fern GSD 5yrs, Chloe the Cat
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yay, Fern! (Love her name - I really wanted to name Penny “Fernie” but I couldn’t get consensus with the family.)

Looks like a gorgeous spot with those ancient oaks. I’m sure everybody appreciated a little rain, too!
There’s something so awe inspiring about those ancient oaks. The really big oak tree is actually by the tennis courts.

Thank you! Fern was the name given to her by the animal shelter. I kept that name for her, it suits her well! Fernie is cute! Fern’s nickname is phone/telephone for the strangest of reasons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts