German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week I had Toby out for a walk in the neighborhood. Couple houses up from where we live we passed by a house with a fenced front yard. There was a pit and some sort of smaller mix outside. They see us walking down the street and start getting all worked up, I think no big deal I'll just cross the street and keep going. I look over and the pit is literally climbing the fence to get out and the little dog got through somewhere else and both come running at us. I grabbed Toby close to me with the leash, they came right up to us not super aggressive but got right in Toby's face, while the little one kept circling around. Toby doesn't have the best nerves and is dog reactive/aggressive. (Toby apparently got in some sort of a dog fight when he was less than a year old, he's a rescue I don't know his full story). I tried to maneuver Toby away from the pit without Toby or the other getting into it or getting hurt. Luckily they ran off.

I took Toby straight back home and drove up to the house to let them know their dogs were loose. I drove around the block to see if I could see them. My street connects to an undivided 4 lane highway, I turn the corner and there are the pups running in morning rush traffic! Thank god they didn't get hit and ran sort of back in the direction of home. I don't know if they were ever found. It's **** unsettling to have two strange dogs run up on you!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm glad to hear nothing happened to your Toby! That would have sent my anxiety through the roof. I know how my dogs will act, but you never know about the loose dog. Sounds to me like the owners of those dogs need to work out a better containment system!

I've been lucky and really only had a loose dog charge my Shiba and me twice and it was just a goofy friendly lab both times (I am SO thankful for that). A little 8-ish year old boy came running up and tried to grab the lab after a few minutes and I couldn't help but wonder why the parents were letting this kid walk/watch the dog without them. The dog was almost as tall as him at the withers!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
The unmentionable breed often acts non aggressive just before they attack. Carry mace or a big stick walking cane just in case.

You might leave a note on the peoples door saying their dogs can get out and were roaming the middle of the highway.

Note: For fence climbing dogs (and coyotes that want to break in) there is such a thing as Coyote Rollers. Dog owners can make them, as they are expensive to have someone put in. https://yoursassyself.com/roll-bar-fence-diy-keep-your-pets-in-others-out/?cn-reloaded=1

·
Registered
225 Posts
We were walking Halsey down the road with my mom's full grown GSD 2 weeks ago. Sadie (my mom's dog) isn't really "other dog" friendly. She's always been OK with my dogs as I've introduced them slowly and she's fine. But she doesn't really like strange dogs. We pass a house and I look over and notice a litter of pit puppies in the side yard with 3 adults and a child last second I notice a full grown pit and that all of the dogs aren't in a fenced in area. About the time I notice her she notices us and runs up to greet us. She looks friendly enough but she shoves her face right in Sadie's face and 85 pound Sadie could decide she is DONE with it at any moment. The owner is yelling at her dog who doesn't bother to listen because why would she. She was nearly hit by a car going down the road and another car stopped and waited for the owner to retrieve her. The entire time she is saying how friendly she is and yelling at her son who is all of 7 for constantly letting the dog out and telling the kid he needs to stop letting her out. It drives me crazy that she 1. blamed her child when the dog was clearly loose in the yard with her and 2. she thinks because her dog is friendly one of the ones with me won't decide they don't like a strange dog in their face. It is hard having a reactive dog. My last GSD was leash aggressive toward everything. She was manageable and then a few aggressive goldens and labradors came after us and she was completely insane. It sounds like you handled the situation as best you could and I know I would have been a stressed out mess.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's awful! And the speed in which the dogs got out tells me they've done it before. I'd report them to animal control.

So glad you guys are okay. Four mos. old is a tender (and for some dogs a fearful) stage; like the puppy realizes they aren't invincible.:grin2: Your puppy needs positive experiences with other dogs right now to replace his negative one. Any puppy play dates you can arrange? Anyone else in your neighborhood with calm dogs you could arrange to meet on future walks? I hope you consider an obedience class (not at Petsmart) when your pup's a little older.

Good luck!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, even at this age a puppy kindergarten class would be fine. I am taking one at my local AKC club. It is good for getting your pup socialized but my breeder said to avoid the free play.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts