German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is a good fence hieght for a dog good at jumping?

What age will a dog be able to clear a five foot fence?

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
My female can clear a 6ft privacy fence like i was a joke

·
Registered
168 Posts
Brewski is 15 months now and he can clear a 5 ft no problem. We have a 6ft fence at the back and he knows exactly how far away he needs to be for his run to clear it....

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyway to prevent this? what if we are out there playing with them they see something on the otherside of the fence they want and go after it. Mine has not jumped yet but i bet she can.

any sort of extension? like a 2 foot extenstion? add height maybe curve inwards.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My husband has placed a lattice topper on the top of our 6ft fence bringing it close to 8ft now so far Brewski has not cleared it though he has tried a few times in hopes of catching that nasty squirrel....

You could try the same if it is a wooden fence that you are working with.....

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I have never had an issue with our 4' chainlink fence. Have had GSDs, Belgians, an Irish Setter, a Collie and various boarders (although they were not left unattended).

·
Registered
168 Posts
What about planting cedars or something along that line in front of the fence in order to prevent seeing things on the other side.... could get expensive though..... You used to be able to purchase a plastic weave for chain links fencing to create some privacy....just thinking if you could perhaps block her/him from viewing what is on the other side might take the need to jump it away

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I had a 50 pound female who could jump a 7 foot fence. I have a male who will jump 6 feet easily--usually just to get closer to me. He has to be in a covered run if I want him to stay in a kennel. The yard he jumps in and out of at will--a 4-foot fence--so he doesn't get put in the yard with any expectation he'll stay.

Fence jumping is more a matter of belief than size. If the dog thinks he can, he will probably figure out a way.

If your dog is already jumping, you'd be better served by putting a strand of electric along the top (and bottom, maybe) along the inside of the fence. It's also a lot cheaper than trying to build higher.

But if you have a 4 foot fence and your dog never has, she may never do so--and may never try.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A Kennel as suggested is a good idea or what about the invisible fence you can purchase I have a neighbour that used that with great success....

·
Registered
705 Posts
A Kennel as suggested is a good idea or what about the invisible fence you can purchase I have a neighbour that used that with great success....
Invisible fences ummm not so good in my opinion. In the winter the snow insulates the wire, other dogs can come into your yard so your dog is not safe, tough dogs will learn to run thru it to get out but won't run thru to get back in, just a few cons I can think of.

However, I had a male who could scale a 6 ft fence within seconds. When i moved, I put in a 4 ft fence (it was privacy panels and chain link) then i strung electric cattle tape above the fence using T-posts pounded inside the fence.

Perfect solution! Easy to tell if the wire is hot, nobody gets out and nobody gets in!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Invisible fences ummm not so good in my opinion. In the winter the snow insulates the wire, other dogs can come into your yard so your dog is not safe, tough dogs will learn to run thru it to get out but won't run thru to get back in, just a few cons I can think of.

However, I had a male who could scale a 6 ft fence within seconds. When i moved, I put in a 4 ft fence (it was privacy panels and chain link) then i strung electric cattle tape above the fence using T-posts pounded inside the fence.

Perfect solution! Easy to tell if the wire is hot, nobody gets out and nobody gets in!
A underground fence just inside/outside of the existing fence doesn't have those issues, but the dog still has to be wearing the collar.

I'd prefer to hotwire, personally, works on any dog--collar or no collar--and doesn't require training for the dog to understand.

·
Registered
508 Posts

That's my solution. It keeps everyone in really well. I just have a simple 4 foot woven wire, with a hot wire strung around the top another 8 inches up. I only had it charged for about a week, and that was all it needed to be on to train the dogs to not challange the fence. That's been 8 months ago, and have had no excapes yet.:)

·
Super Moderator
32,039 Posts
Fence jumping is more a matter of belief than size. If the dog thinks he can, he will probably figure out a way.
I agree. My dogs could easily jump the gate into the cat room (I don't know exactly how high it is, but I can step over it), but they don't. Halo will stick her nose between the bars and and has figured out how to jiggle the gate enough to pop it open, however. I've heard her do it a few times from the office across the hall and caught her in there chowing down their food. She seems to know that it's not okay to jump over it though.

I'm pretty sure if she put her mind to it she could scramble over pretty much any fence she wanted to - she's strong agile and athletic, but for some reason she's never tried, nor has Keefer. He can pop open a chain link gate, but I don't know that it would occur to him to climb over it.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is hotwire expensive? what if the dog does a deer jump over the fence? not sure if they are capable of that though even by deer jump i mean jumping over a fence w/o touching it

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Mine never even tried the 4 ft chainlink and we moved to a house fully fenced with 5 ft chainlink. They've never even thought about testing it.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine never even tried the 4 ft chainlink and we moved to a house fully fenced with 5 ft chainlink. They've never even thought about testing it.
wait till a squirrel teases them by eating a nut on the other side or some creepy drunk man trys to use the fence as urinal

1 - 20 of 28 Posts