German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a 50x25 foot fenced area for my GSD pup consisting of post and rail backed with vinyl covered chain link. Some of the contractors have recommended that the fence wire be buried. Some say 6", others say 12" and some say not necessary. Any suggestions out there?
Thanks.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Definitely need to be buried. The number one method most GSDs get out is by inserting their long snout through a gap between the bottom of the fence and the ground; then repeatedly lifting their powerful heads until the gap is large enough to wriggle through. You'd be amazed how small a hole some GSDs need. My current female has gone through gaps between the fence bottom and the ground so small, I can't believe it, but she did.

How deep depends on the ground and the slope. If the ground is soft and is sloped the deeper you want it because the soil will eventually subside and erode. GSDs can also dig under a fence. Ideally you dig a trench under the fence and fill it with concrete, and attach the bottom of the fence to the concrete before it dries.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I had a bottom rail close to the ground run along my fence and anchored the wire to it as well -the fence also has a top rail - Did not bury my wire but It would be absolutely brutal to do so in my yard and damage a lot of tree roots. On the slope dirt actually backs up against that lower rail and we have to rake it back over time.

If you can reasonably trench and bury, I would. That is certainly a small enough area.

My take on vinyl chain link is watch the guage - most of what I found was flimsy so I went with no climb horse fence (not welded) but I could only get it coated black not vinyl black.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Alot depends on how you plan to use this area.

Is the dog going to be in it unsupervised? If so, for how long?

If they will be in there with no humans around for more than 15 minutes you need to have it covered so they can't jump/climb out and do something so they can't dig under.

Burying the fence is expensive. I would go with hot wire at the bottom of the fence on the inside. That would keep the dog from digging near the fence.

If you will be around - either out there with them or inside the house where you can see them at all time - you don't need a top or any fencing buried.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who replied. I very much appreciate the input.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
You can also buy some more inexpensive wire to go underneath your chain link. We did that in our back yard... my dad (bless him) dug out below the bottom of our chain link to a depth of about 18 inches and attached chicken wire (or field fence) to the bottom of the chain link, then buried the attached fence completely. Worked great. He basically cut the roll of fence to be buried in half so a roll of 50 ft would actually cover 100 ft area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts