German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a previous thread got me thinking. Is a dog that barks at people going by his fence line a problem or is it just normal dog behavior. I expect people's dog to be territorial. It doesn't bother me when dogs walk a fence barking. But some people seem to act like it is an issue. "I assume it's the ones who are afraid of and don't understand dogs who act like it is an issue. I will post a video of my back yard for reference. Thoughts? I will also try and get a video of them barking at someone walking by later.

·
Super Moderator
5,873 Posts
When my dogs are in their kennel they bark at passersby.If they are free in the yard they don't.Whenever I pass by a dog behind a fence I'm usually barked at.IME it's normal.
My neighbors are not close,so it really doesn't bother anyone.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I'm going with....it's pretty normal.....especially for this breed. However.......when I say to knock it off....it ends...took a bit to get her to see it my way....but I let her get a few barks in before telling her enough.

My fenced in area is farther from the street.....so people walking by probably aren't as uptight.....but....there are always going to be those who see it differently....oh well.

Come to think of it..........I'd say better than 90 plus % of the dogs in my neighborhood fence bark at people as they walk by their turf........when I sit outside....the dog and I have figured out which direction people are coming from....and if they are walking a dog.....the barking is more "spirited"......

SuperG

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually don't bother with them barking unless there is a young child who seems troubled. Adults or basically anyone over 12 I figure deal with it. The ones who kill me are the people who walk dogs and will stop as if to think their dog and my dogs are gonna just be instant best friends, as my dogs are sprinting towards the fence. They always act so surprised when my dogs greet them with my yard get out of here barks. Or the dogs who are pulling towards my dogs and the owners act as if they can not for the life of them walk their dog away.
I do watch dog barking more than human. I don't want Athena to develop any dog issues that will mess us up at club.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
It's normal but it can lead to aggression and reactivity big time. Some of the worst aggression cases I've seen started as fence fighting and built up and bled over into other pictures.

You will find that idiot that sticks his hand over or through the fence at some point and your dog may decide to do more than bark in that case.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Those idiots are out there for sure. I used to sell milk over my front gate sometimes if it was a stranger and I didn't want them in my property alone with me. Dogs would run up to the gate and have a little bru ha ha. They'd stop when I got there and told them to, and then they'd sit there and stare at people while I did my little transaction.

My old male was not messing around. There were signs on the gate, German Shepherds, do not pet, do not feed. So there's my dog, barking aggressively with a hard stare at this guy who reaches his hand through the gate to make friends with him. I yelled at him to get his hand out of there and he looked so shocked and said something like "dogs love me". I was like, this one doesn't. He'll eat your fingers with ketchup.

Unbelievable. People used to try and feed their babies to our horses back in the day too. I literally caught people offering their infant over the fence for the horse to sniff. Ran out there yelling at them to get that baby out of there.

We DID have a horse sever someone's finger, not the one they were offering the baby to, but those people didn't know that!!

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's normal but it can lead to aggression and reactivity big time. Some of the worst aggression cases I've seen started as fence fighting and built up and bled over into other pictures.

You will find that idiot that sticks his hand over or through the fence at some point and your dog may decide to do more than bark in that case.
Interesting. That was my main concern with Athena. That she may develop a habit of barking at dogs for the heck of it and spill over onto the SCH field.
My older male Rosko and the neighbors male dogs fence fight every chance they get. Through a privacy fence so they can't see each other but it sounds vicious. I always put a stop to that as I figure eventually someone's gonna get through or under and it will be on for real. As of right now when this goes on the Germans seem oblivious to them fence fighting.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unbelievable. People used to try and feed their babies to our horses back in the day too!
This part almost gave me a mental breakdown. I thought surely she mis-typed. Gotta be a mistake. Who the **** feeds infants to horses. Should have read the whole paragraph before having my wtf moment.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
personally, I don't allow my dogs to bark at people passing by on the street. or at neighbors in their yard. Once people step onto the edge of the property, then absolutely bark away.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Interesting. That was my main concern with Athena. That she may develop a habit of barking at dogs for the heck of it and spill over onto the SCH field.
My older male Rosko and the neighbors male dogs fence fight every chance they get. Through a privacy fence so they can't see each other but it sounds vicious. I always put a stop to that as I figure eventually someone's gonna get through or under and it will be on for real. As of right now when this goes on the Germans seem oblivious to them fence fighting.
I will say, over the years, there have been times where the dogs did stuff and I had a thought like "this seems like a bad idea, but it isn't causing problems now...so..." and some of them did develop into major issues and I thought to myself, I knew I shouldn't have allowed that.

Now if I ever have any sort of feeling that this might be a problem but I can't think exactly why or when or where it will happen, I shut it down, because lots of times my premonitions were correct. So if you feel like it might become a problem for Athena, I bet you're right.

Here is my general policy about fence barking:
-if they are out and I hear them I go see why, because they don't bark for nothing
-if it is a delivery person I say thanks for letting me know and they are then to stop. They do not carry on at the Fed Ex guy the whole time he is carrying and putting the box down.
-if it is a person passing and I don't see them ahead of time the dogs will run down and bark (people RARELY walk by my house), I call them back immediately because I don't ever want any innocent person to feel scared of my dogs or annoyed by my dogs if I can help it. The reason is this: I don't want any trouble with my neighbors, I don't want anybody harboring bad feelings toward me or my dogs, because angry and scared people do unfortunate things. I also tend to feel like it's better for our breed for people to see them being what they are but also being stewarded by responsible owners and not acting out of control or scary looking particularly to innocent pedestrians.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Cowboy- I completely agree with your post and I, too learned some of this the hard way.

I can't emphasize enough the part about never giving neighbors a reason to resent your dogs. It's important to keep the peace. I'd recommend a solid wooden fence, not chain link, and one that is six feet.

You'd be surprised how stupid people can be, and a wooden fence protects the dogs from stupidity and also prevents any unwanted contact.

Barking is completely normal, but you need to decide how much you want to allow.

·
Super Moderator
32,040 Posts
Normal and a problem are not mutually exclusive. A lot of normal dog behavior can be a problem, depending on the circumstances. For me, I wouldn't want my dogs doing that, and would find a way to block their view or confine them to a smaller area of the yard where they couldn't have the opportunity to bark at people or dogs passing by.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I recently just moved from an apartment to a house with my boyfriend (we're renting) and the previous tenants had a outside dog only that from the looks of it fence fought a lot with the neighbors dogs. Millies not much a barker, their barking startled her a little but she wont fence fight with them, Finn looks a bit more interested in it but I tell him to leave it and we usually just head inside when they're out because the last thing I need is for someone to complain that we have aggressive german shepherds or something of the sort. The fence itself was falling apart due the other dogs jumping on it, today as we headed inside i saw the big dog jump on the fence it literally looked like it was about to give way.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I got a vinyl privacy fence cause I did not want this. I think it can be normal but with multiple dogs it can escalate. They can redirect on each other, not to mention scare the heck out of people. I know I am always thinking I wonder if that fence is going to hold when j walk by a dog barking and charging.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts