German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a female shepherd. Just curious when yours stopped growing, what age they muscled out more and about how big yours ended up being. I never see females by me, everyone has males except for one friend who has a massive female, and my girl's mom was on the larger side and very fluffy so telling exactly how big she was under the floof is impossible. So far my girl is 65 lbs and about 24 1/2- 25" at the withers. I've done my best to measure her correctly. So I'm just curious how much more she'll grow if at all, and if she's smaller than usual. She's about 1 1/2 years old and is supposed to not hit full size until 3, but she doesn't seem to be growing to me besides putting on a pound every few months. I don't really care if she grows or stays the same, just wondering if they fill out more than this.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Plant German shepherd dog

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,880 Posts
I read somewhere around 9 months they're typically at 90% of full size. By 1.5 yrs I would say full size for height and length and will now fill out.

This tracked with our girl. She is 2 yrs 3 months and has not gotten any bigger but a little heavier.

·
Registered
7,650 Posts
AKC say bitches 22-24" 50-70 pounds and CKC quotes this:
Size: The ideal height for dogs is 25 inches (64 cm), and for bitches, 23 inches (58 cm) at the shoulder. This height is established by taking a perpendicular line from the top of the shoulder blade to the ground with the coat parted or so pushed down that this measurement will show the only actual height of the frame or structure of the dog. The working value of dogs above or below the indicated height is proportionately lessened, although variations of an inch (3 cm) above or below the ideal height are acceptable, while greater variations must be considered as faults. Weights of dogs of desirable size in proper flesh and condition average between 75 and 85 lb. (34 and 39 kg); and of bitches, between 60 and 70 lb. (27 and 32 kg).

Your girl is right on. People generally over emphasize "they continue to 3 years" stuff
GSD are primarily done growing at 10-12 months and can put on marginal more wight through filling out to 18 months. Beyond that is usually not that noteable and can be just the edges of over weight as they mature.

I have had bitches approaching 90 pounds but that is far out of breed standard and not desireable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AKC say bitches 22-24" 50-70 pounds and CKC quotes this:
Size: The ideal height for dogs is 25 inches (64 cm), and for bitches, 23 inches (58 cm) at the shoulder. This height is established by taking a perpendicular line from the top of the shoulder blade to the ground with the coat parted or so pushed down that this measurement will show the only actual height of the frame or structure of the dog. The working value of dogs above or below the indicated height is proportionately lessened, although variations of an inch (3 cm) above or below the ideal height are acceptable, while greater variations must be considered as faults. Weights of dogs of desirable size in proper flesh and condition average between 75 and 85 lb. (34 and 39 kg); and of bitches, between 60 and 70 lb. (27 and 32 kg).

Your girl is right on. People generally over emphasize "they continue to 3 years" stuff
GSD are primarily done growing at 10-12 months and can put on marginal more wight through filling out to 18 months. Beyond that is usually not that noteable and can be just the edges of over weight as they mature.

I have had bitches approaching 90 pounds but that is far out of breed standard and not desireable.
Both of her parents hit a major fill out right before three years. Dad's a little chubby and 75 lbs and mom is 80 lbs, has ten lbs of hair though. She is not AKC lines, she's German working lines. If that makes a difference at all. Her grandparents were all registered, her parents aren't. Her brothers have almost all hit over 100 lbs for some odd reason, considering the parents aren't massive and the grandparents were not either.

·
Super Moderator
6,247 Posts
It can vary in a litter, too. My gal-dog, the smallest of a litter of 11, seemed to hit her benchmark of 55 lbs at around 2. She is still slim at 7 years old and runs like a rocket.
I met one of her female littermates at about 2 and I wondered at first that she might actually be male! She was bigger and brawnier and had a rounder head. But not taller. I haven't seen that other she-dog in years so no telling how she looks now.

·
Registered
34,178 Posts
Females typically stop growing when they hit their first heat. She might fill out a little more as she hit maturity but she won't "grow" anymore than she is now. Mine is small at about 55 lbs and just made the standard in height.

At 24.5"-25", she's already over standard and you'll get knocked for that in an SV show, if not outright dismissed. 80 lbs for a female? I would question that number. That's the size of a male. My WL male, at top condition for sport, was 78 lbs and he's 25.5" tall (top of the standard for males). I'm guessing your girl is more like 23-24" at the withers if she's 65 lbs. That weight is perfect for a female.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Females typically stop growing when they hit their first heat. She might fill out a little more as she hit maturity but she won't "grow" anymore than she is now. Mine is small at about 55 lbs and just made the standard in height.

At 24.5"-25", she's already over standard and you'll get knocked for that in an SV show, if not outright dismissed. 80 lbs for a female? I would question that number. That's the size of a male. My WL male, at top condition for sport, was 78 lbs and he's 25.5" tall (top of the standard for males). I'm guessing your girl is more like 23-24" at the withers if she's 65 lbs. That weight is perfect for a female.
She could be 24, but the measurement is as a curate as I can make it. She can rest her head on the counter lol. Her mom is eighty According to the vet scale.

·
Registered
7,650 Posts

That's just about exactly Rogan and 81 pounds at the vet last month. I consider him in really good shape (can hike for hours, ran him 3km last week, plays with Rogan like a pup) but I want him under 80, he looks good but not lean lean. I am regularly asked (or told) he's small for a GSD and of course moreso next to Rogan. People are used to seeing over sized Shepherds bred and marketed as such as desireable.

·
Registered
Fern GSD 5yrs, Chloe the Cat
1,216 Posts
That's just about exactly Rogan and 81 pounds at the vet last month. I consider him in really good shape (can hike for hours, ran him 3km last week, plays with Rogan like a pup) but I want him under 80, he looks good but not lean lean. I am regularly asked (or told) he's small for a GSD and of course moreso next to Rogan. People are used to seeing over sized Shepherds bred and marketed as such as desireable.
My neighbor has an oversized GSD that is also overweight. Lots of people seriously believe that's normal. The vet I went to had a client ahead of us (2 WGSL). Beautiful dogs but severely overweight and underexercised. The owner said the dogs were on the small side. oof.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would LOVE if my WGSL x WL female ends up the same size as your girl. My WGSL male was just north of the breed standard and it was kind of a pain. Had to upgrade to the “moose size” crate for travel. Part of the reason why I like females is they are notably smaller (when bred appropriately and to standard - don’t get me started on those BYBs touting their “oversized” shepherds)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would LOVE if my WGSL x WL female ends up the same size as your girl. My WGSL male was just north of the breed standard and it was kind of a pain. Had to upgrade to the “moose size” crate for travel. Part of the reason why I like females is they are notably smaller (when bred appropriately and to standard - don’t get me started on those BYBs touting their “oversized” shepherds)
That was 75% of why I chose her breeder tbh, is that she was the only one not purposely trying to get massive dogs. She actually picked the lines she did for smaller dogs, and has been scratching her head trying to figure out why so many boys have turned out big when nobody in the past several generations was big. Genetics are so weird. She's got a different male now since the one male produced larger boys with two different females.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts