German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so sophie got spayed yesterday and she is doing wonderful...

I have a question...she is 7 months old and only weighs 45 pounds...Do you think that is rather small for a shepherd? Maybe i am just use to ryder...it seemed like he gained 10 pounds every month til he was about a year old...

Sophies mom was small at like 65 and her dad was well over 100, he was a big boy...She just seems so petite.

·
Registered
537 Posts
There are a lot of big dogs on this site...my girls are 70 pounds (Mia is a year) and 51 pounds (Bella we are guessing is 9 months). Bella is very petite and Mia gets comments all the time on "how big she is". My first GSD was 60 pounds...on the lean side, but lean is good. They both were spayed last week. Sophie will probably be about her mom's weight.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Molly is also small at 8 months (don't have a recent weight) but she was the runt and while she is slowly catching up to some of her sisters, her mum is not huge so I think Molly will always be on the small side too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If it wasn't for Josie's EPI her weight would have been 80 pounds by now at 13 months old. Last time we weighed she she was 59 pounds. I may have to get her in soon for a weight check.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Onyx is 3.5 yrs old and over 90#, she's maintained this weight for 2 yrs...Kacie is almost 5yrs and 85#. Kacie is large boned and barrel ribbed, her head is very male looking. When I got her at 21 months she was 63# and skeletal. You'd think that weight would be ideal, but she was starving.
At her current weight, she could lose a bit, but exercise is limited because of a bad elbow. I think her ideal would be 75/80#
Onyx on the other hand, is all muscle and 26"...if she didn't have a delicate face, you'd think male.
Everyone comments that she is a boy when they see her if they don't know the breed, her color is part of that, I'm sure.
structure plays into the weight, what ever looks best. I try not to look at pounds because it is embarrassing in our case!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts