German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 4 year old female GSD, Dasha has spay incontinence. It started a few weeks ago but I didn't realize exactly what was happening until I saw her leak a couple of nights ago. I think she had been cleaning it up herself prior to this because I found some wet spots. The vet has prescribed Proin. I'm aware of the side effects and giving it to her a bit reluctantly. We just started it last night and no leaks so far, so it seems to have worked rather quickly. However, since this problem needs a long term solution. I am eager to hear how others have dealt with this issue and to find out if there are any better options available, other than DES which my vet does not recommend because of the risk of bone marrow suppression. Please share your experiences with this issue.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Incurin Tablets might be something to try. It is specifically marketed for control of estrogen responsive urinary incontinence in spayed dogs. I don’t have any personal experience with it, but it was recommended by one of my proffesors who is a veterinary theriogenologist.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
At what age was yours spayed? We adopted one at about 2 yoa (already spayed at ? age), who began to have that problem a few years later. Proin helped, but it got progressively worse over the years. Increasing Proin dose helped, but the "solution" was waterproof bed covers for her. She died at about 14, with osteosarcoma (increased risk with early spaying).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dasha was spayed shortly after turning 1 year old and about 3 months after her first heat. I don't think that was considered to be early. She had a very long heat (6 weeks) and I really didn't want to go through that again.

I asked my vet about Incurin and she was not familiar with it. It may be an option but I'd like to find more research on it. I read that spay incontinence usually begins about 3 years after being spayed and Dasha's incidents fit that timeline.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
I would try something natural before I'd do drugs......It can't hurt!

Herbals – Mullein Leaf – Helps to tone bladder muscles.
You can purchase a brand like Alvita Mullein Leaf Tea Bags at a health food store, steep in ½ to 1 cup of boiling water until cold. Give 2 tablespoons of the diluted mix after the evening meal and before you let them out for the last time before bedtime . If your dog doesn’t care for it, add 1 or 2 Tablespoons of canned low salt, low fat chicken or beef broth.
OR
Purchase pure loose Mullein Leaf and brew: using 1/2 teaspoon of crushed Mullein Leaf to 1 cup of boiled water, cover and steep for 20 minutes then strain with strainer. Give 2 tablespoons of the diluted mix after the evening meal and before you let them out for the last time before bedtime.

Parsley - Adding 1/2 teaspoon of fresh chopped parsley to the dog's food will help strengthen the kidneys too. (NO parsley seeds)

Homeopathics:
*https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-Incontinence-Homeopathic-Remedy/999253.aspx

*https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/homeopet-leaks-no-more/120003.aspx

All dogs (like people) are different.....what works for one...may not work another. ;)

Good luck!
Moms :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts