German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I had posted this in an old thread, but I think my question will get lost in the replies, so here's a new thread).

I'm worried because I have two females together (3 years and 13 months-old), they're mother and daughter and so far they're very attached to each other. But I know the puppy is still... a puppy, and I also know females tend to be aggressive towards other females.

Negra, the older one is intact and Lulu, the puppy, was spayed before her first heat.

I have been taking them for walks daily, the puppy has had some beginner training and everything I've learned with her I practice with her mom too.
Now this is a huge problem for me, I do not live in the US, there are absolutely no trainers or anything like that close to me. The best I can do is a 1 - 1 1/2 hr trip to Petsmart where they have pet trainers, and I can't even do that too often. I know it's not the best choice but it's the best I can get. Besides whatever info I find online.

I've had no problems so far, but I fear that one day when my puppy reaches adulthood they'll start to fight. They have shown no aggression so far, whenever I see anything suspiciously close to that I stop them. They do play rough, but I see that as normal play.

Does anyone here have females that get along well? Any advice that I can get so I can avoid them fighting in the future?

·
Registered
27,270 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Quoting a reply I got from the other thread:

This thread is old, so my reply is to the new post/Ruth:
I have two females(both spayed and 2 yrs apart) that get along, though they have some tense moments where I have to diffuse the situation...it usually is resource guarding me.
One of them is submissive to the other, but now and then will not back down, so I know things could escalate if I don't redirect them to something else. As far as I know they are fine when I'm not around.
They are not crated or separated when we aren't home.
I adopted Kacie, then 21 mos(the submissive one) when Onyx was 5 months old. They were bonded very well until I fostered a male, then Onyx's maturity and Kacies confidence level has made them less best bud playmates and more just housemates.
I have an intact 20 month old male, but he doesn't really factor in to their relationship. Though Onyx gets really jealous if she is inside/they are out, and she watches them play...she goes nuts to get out there and herd Kacie away from Karlo. All three play well together, I am really fortunate.
I do know that once/IF they do get into it(heaven forbid) they will hold a grudge forever...always in the back of my mind.
Of course let's hope and pray that doesn't ever happen!
How do you redirect them to something else?

ETA: Ah thanks, Onyx'girl! Well, I do have two more dogs, both of them male and they have known them since forever, those 2 were here before any of the females.
One of them is actually the puppy's dad, but he's neutered now and also he's in a different area than the 2 females. And the other one is my 10-yr-old Toy Poodle who just goes out to play with both them for a bit and then comes back inside.

·
2,967 Posts
I'm not sure that beyond general pack leadership and obedience training which will help you control the situation that you really can avoid the problem if they choose to not get along...

I have 2 males that squabble (nothing really serious) now that the puppy is hitting maturity. They both have extensive obedience training and recognize me as their unquestioned leader...but I certainly cannot leave them alone together unsupervised. It's just who they are. Dominant males who want to control their environments and won't take any crap from each other.

So you go along as necessary to establish a good foundation and hope there will not be a problem and then if there is...then you deal with it and understand that the solution might just be separation.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I think you can only do what you are doing, being vigilant. There are many people with multiple females and no problems, and then again, there are ones with problems.

I have/had two females, granted one was an aussie, but she is a "marshmellow', tho she likes to play rough..My first female shepherd who thought she was the "queen", (and she was:) , could be a bully with her, something I just had to keep an eye on.

She passed, and now my second female gsd, loves the aussie 'marshmellow', and they get along great, The aussie is 11, and still full of energy, and Masi is 2.5 years old, no conflicts, life is good:)

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
How do you redirect them to something else?
I usually tell one of them to get a ball in their mouth. If they already have a ball, then I bring one in the house or just get a fetch game going on again. My females only get attitude if I am correcting one or if the play has gotten so ramped up that they are acting hectic. Onyx and Karlo tend to want to herd Kacie so I watch that too. She will hide under the trailers and they keep her there...but it is a bit of a game and Kacie can give it as much as she takes it.
Onyx also won't let Kacie come in when I call them. She keeps her from the doorways. So Onyx is really the one getting "managed" most often.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks, JKlatsky!
Yes, I've been thinking that the worst case scenario would be to separate them. But I don't want to resort to that if they do continue getting along well.

I have already separated my male, Lobo (6 yrs-old, neutered), because when Lulu was younger she used to go to him and bark wanting to play, Negra ran and mounted him. Most of the time he would just step back, but a couple of times he resisted and **** unleashed.

They had two big fights, one of them I could separate them and they didn't injure each other, maybe just a couple of superficial scratches.
The second time it got a lot worse, they bit each other and it took longer to separate them and I had to take them to the vet. Nothing serious luckily, but I couldn't live with the fear of a third and even more dangerous fight!
He now lives in another part of the house, they still see each other trough a metal railing that separates said areas, they do give each other kisses, sit next to and smell each other... but at least I feel that they're safe and they won't hurt each other again.

I can see that Negra is being overprotective with Lulu, still now. Everytime Lulu approaches Lobo, Negra runs and stands in front of Lulu facing him.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
A lot of people seem to have good luck with mother-daughter pairs, even with females who are intolerant of other female dogs. Your best bet is to not add another female to the mix though, as that will increase the risk of someone not getting along with someone else.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I have had two and even three females in the house and had no problems. I am a fair and consistent leader, my dogs are well trained and I do not tolerate fighting. They know that: my first gsd, Massie, was an alpha female and Chama deferred to her in all things. When friends brought in females (to stay for short or long periods) Massie knew that I was the leader of the pack and never tried to start anything.

Chama never had problems with females: she actually got along better with females than males.

I would practice NILIF (if you're not already doing so) do daily training, make sure everyone gets plenty of exercise and just be an all around good pack leader!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, JakodaCD_OA! I'll keep working with them and watching their behavior as a hawk.
Your dogs sound like such cuties! :wub:

Thanks again for replying, onyx'girl! I'll keep that in mind.
Oh and I love your dogs names!

I seriously hope that's my case, AgileGSD Thanks so much for that, I feel a bit more relieved, but I'm not letting my guard down yet.
And no, there's no chance that I'll add another dog to my family, these 4 are quite a handful. :crazy:

That's a great advice, BowWowMeow, thank you! I was just reading about NILIF, I'll start that asap.

Phew, thanks so much for your replies!! You really made me feel a bit less worried about this and I have confidence that I can make this work.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I've always only had females and NEVER a problem with the either 3 or 2 I"ve had at the same time.

Biggest thing is to be vigilant, socialize and TRAIN! So you are the leader in the house. You KNOW your dogs know to behave and listen to you in any and all situations (from all the out of the home socialization). And the dog classes and training confirm your guidance and leadership role in the home.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have three females - ages 9, 7, 4 and 11 months. The 9 year old is the mother of the 7 year old. As suggested above, practice pack leadership and stop any squabbles before they begin. Never had a fight, but occassionally one may snap over a toy, etc. I don't allow toys, bones, etc in the house or yard unsupervised. Dogs are in their seperate kennels when I am not at home although the mother/daugher share the same kennel. When I board them they need to be next to each other as the kennel personnel tell me they scream the place down if seperated.

Good luck.

Cheryl

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, MaggieRoseLee and Renofan2!

All those are great advices, I really appreciate them and I'll definitely use them. You are all awesome, I admire you for how well you take care of your pets and of course for sharing!

Dogs are in their seperate kennels when I am not at home although the mother/daugher share the same kennel. When I board them they need to be next to each other as the kennel personnel tell me they scream the place down if seperated.

Haha, that's kinda cute!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's me again, with sort of an update.

NILIF has helped me a LOT!! They have to sit and stay still til I tell them it's ok if they want the treat or the bowl of food I'm holding, among other things like I only pet and play with them only when I call them or when I start a game, not when THEY want.

The squabbles so far have reduced to a minimum, and when they happen a firm "NO!" makes at least one of them freeze or retreat making the other one lose interest and/or stopping.

I just hope things continue like this! I know there's a lot more that I can do and I feel like I'm only beginning, but I thank you so much for all your suggestions and advice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts