German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2 female siblings that are about 4 years old now. Same litter, both fixed and rescued from the shelter as puppies. The last few months have they started fighting more and more, each fight seems to be getting more aggressive. Constantly growling at each other, they finally had a huge fight today. Both bloody and limping. The more I read on it, it seems like they shouldn’t have been housed together to begin with. What can we do?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Crate and rotate or place one in a good home.

These two will never get on with each other again. I'm sorry that it may not be what you want as an answer but believe me when I tell you that once two bitches fight, they will continue to do so.

Two siblings of the same gender from the same litter is always a no go area.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Yvette.

Careful what you read here. There are no absolutes, like in life.

I have one of two sisters left right now. I put the other sister down, Kenya, at 10.5 years of age last April, 2019.

Here's what I experienced: My two girls were not a problem, until they hit about 3-4 years of age. At that time, they got into three serious fights in the course of about 18 months. Blood. Cuts. The whole nine.

Now, each of those fights occurred within 24 hours, after I had to fly out of town on business. They NEVER fought while I was home. My wife seemed to think that a change occurred in them when they noticed that I was packing my bags to travel.

At about that time, I was interested in an all black male that a very good south Jersey breeder had. I bought the male and still have him at 6 years of age, today. That may have helped.

I amped up my training and overall awareness of the two females, while I was home from that point. Nothing major, I just pushed myself to be more cognizant of them and how they related to each other, while making sure that they were always cognizant of me. That's it. No crates (ever), no rotating, no rehoming considered. Nonsense. Never had even a single squabble again - whether I was out of town or not.

I might ask you - Has any dynamic in the home changed? Is anybody gone more than usual? Home hours changed? Your dogs have been ok for four years and now are constantly growling with nasty fights? Something in their environment has changed. Surely, it's not the fact that they are siblings.

The fighting could be for a host of reasons. Simply assuming it's a "sibling" thing is too easy. Don't pay a dime for that advice.

I still have the other sister, Jordi, who his almost 11.5, now and the black male, Sebastian - as well as two recent additions in the last 18 months.

I wish the best of luck to you and the two girls.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts