German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard from a family that owns two of my dogs. Both are from same sire and dam just different litters. The male is 85 pounds at a year but the female is weighing (according to the owner) maybe 30-35 she wasn't sure. She described her as tiny. BOTH of these dogs as puppies were 20 pounds at 8-9 weeks. Any ideas why the female has so slowed in her growth? Will she just be a small female at maturity of 55 pounds or so based on her current weight? Owner has not given me a height as of yet. Other females who are from this pair have matured to 80 pounds nearly!
Between the two litters there were 14 puppies and all have matured or are maturing at normal rate, some even growing larger than sire and dam. This one female seems to be the only one to be slow in growth. No other health issues have been conveyed to me other than she has become shy. Any ideas out there? She has been to regular and routine veterinary care with no issues other than small size.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
My female only weighed 33 lbs. at 5 months and has matured into 73 lbs. at 4 years old.

She's only 5 months so there is still plenty of growing to do. All dogs grow at different rates so perhaps she is just doing it a little slower than the rest.

If I was really concerned about it I would run some blood tests and make sure there's not endocrine disorders going on.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: Crooked Creek The male is 85 pounds at a year but the female is weighing (according to the owner) maybe 30-35 she wasn't sure. She described her as tiny.
Does the owner KNOW she only weighs 30-35lbs or is she guessing? Could it be that she looks tiny because she is being compared to the male?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Female pup only weighs 30-35 pounds at 5 1/2 m

The owner is going to get an exact weight for me per my request as well as height. Her vet also described her as tiny. I also suggested to her that she is comparing to her MALE which is going to be 1/3 larger than her anyway as an adult and maybe she seems tiny in comparison. Once I find out more details I will post. I asked her to get me weights at each vet checkup to see the pattern of growth.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Re: Female pup only weighs 30-35 pounds at 5 1/2 m

I'm interested to hear if that is her true size. IMO a vet saying she is "tiny" really doesn't mean anything either. The vast majority of the general public (and that INCLUDES vets.) thinks that a "with-in the standard" sized female is small. (Heck, they think that about males that are with-in the standard too.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts