German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering what you guys thought about the GSD's temperament when it comes down to male or females?
I have two male dogs (not German shepherds) and they are very goofy, and all they want to do is play with each other. Very dog oriented.
I've had female dogs in the past none of which were GSD but they have all been very much people oriented and could care less about what the other dogs were doing (yes liked to play and yes liked other dogs but were very much way more mature acting than any males I've had). Is that something you guys see in the female GSD or just depends and it's pretty much all 50/50? (Hope all that makes sense to you guys)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hmm, I have only had one GSD (male) but I have owned and fostered several Aussies, both male and female. They have all seemed very people oriented to me. At least oriented to the people they live with. For me I have noticed that males seem to want to do what I tell them (not always succeeding) while females are very good about doing what I say but I have always sensed that they think they are smarter than I am. Kind of like the females are always thinking about the situation and they are convinced that their read on the situation is better than mine but they will humor me and do what I say. By comparison my male dogs seem happy to let me do the thinking and follow my orders.

FYI - i now realize that the female I had the most experience with was actually a border collie and that may explain her "i am smarter than you" attitude more than the femaleness.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think it all comes down to each individual dog. Although from my experience, I did notice that female GSD's tend to be a bit more reserved in comparison to the males. I have only owned male GSD's, and my exposure to the females ones has been from family/friends and neighbor's dogs.

Hope this helps somewhat, but I am sure other members will have more valuable input.

·
Banned
679 Posts
I've found males to be more stubborn but to settle and form a better bond with the owner, but females seemed to be quicker to please and train, across a lot of breeds. I've only had female GSD's though, so I couldn't vouch for this particular breed.

If your dogs are only interested in each other, and not interested much in humans, it merely means they bonded with each other instead of you. This is caused when they spend more time with the other dog than they do with their owner, and look to them for guidance and stimulation. Any breed/sex will normally end up the same way if raised that way as well.

Take the time to separate them and train with them individually. Walk and exercise them separately. Allow them to learn that bond with YOU and not their furry counterpart.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have both and while they enjoy playing with each other, all of them would take me and family over each other. I do think females are more independent and bossy.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Yes it depends on the individual dog. Females are more mature and reserved -lady like. I find I connect with them on another level. I also found females want to please you and the males want to see how far they can push you. I have found males to be more goofy,playful and always in the middle of the action.Stubborn yes- charming-yes. when we brought Max home we had him for one week. Max was only 9 weeks old . The Christmas tree was up and he was chewing the jingle bells on the tree skirt. I told him no and removed him and played with his toy. He went back over to the tree skirt with his toy and layed down with his back facing me. He chewed as what it seemed to be his toy. I was not born yesterday and went over to check it out. He was chewing on the jingle bell. I'm sure he though the trade was fair. Tricky little pup. I have to be one step ahead.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I do think females are more independent and bossy.
Mine sure is!

I only have ever had one female GSD and one male. My female is not interested in playing with other dogs - only interested in people but not super affectionate. Only likes to be pet on her terms. My male loves other dogs, is a snuggle bug - super easy going and just happy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've found males to be more stubborn but to settle and form a better bond with the owner, but females seemed to be quicker to please and train, across a lot of breeds. I've only had female GSD's though, so I couldn't vouch for this particular breed.

If your dogs are only interested in each other, and not interested much in humans, it merely means they bonded with each other instead of you. This is caused when they spend more time with the other dog than they do with their owner, and look to them for guidance and stimulation. Any breed/sex will normally end up the same way if raised that way as well.

Take the time to separate them and train with them individually. Walk and exercise them separately. Allow them to learn that bond with YOU and not their furry counterpart.

So I had this long reply back and then my internet kicked me off UGH. So long story short my dogs have been kept separate as they trained and got out of the puppy stage. I have a goldendoodle and boston terrier. The goldendoodle is the one that is weird. Hes bonded with me very much so but when im sitting down on the floor he would rather play with the boston. He knows way more things than your average dog (trick wise) but from a puppy he wouldn't like human interaction he would prefer a dog over a human (at his breeders house). My husband wanted him. Anyways, I think it might just be his personality vs a training issue because I have and still do what you listed above and out of all the dogs ive had/trained/or been around he has been my first odd ball of the group when it comes to preferring a dogs company over his owner. Now if I leave the room that's a TOTALLY different story and he will abandon ship on the other dog immediately. But as far as the male dogs ive had they have been very play, and more immature than I think I like since I grew up around female dogs my entire life.

·
Banned
679 Posts
So I had this long reply back and then my internet kicked me off UGH. So long story short my dogs have been kept separate as they trained and got out of the puppy stage. I have a goldendoodle and boston terrier. The goldendoodle is the one that is weird. Hes bonded with me very much so but when im sitting down on the floor he would rather play with the boston. He knows way more things than your average dog (trick wise) but from a puppy he wouldn't like human interaction he would prefer a dog over a human (at his breeders house). My husband wanted him. Anyways, I think it might just be his personality vs a training issue because I have and still do what you listed above and out of all the dogs ive had/trained/or been around he has been my first odd ball of the group when it comes to preferring a dogs company over his owner. Now if I leave the room that's a TOTALLY different story and he will abandon ship on the other dog immediately. But as far as the male dogs ive had they have been very play, and more immature than I think I like since I grew up around female dogs my entire life.
I have an odd ball on my hands too, so I totally understand that! Good to hear that you did train them separate and he's just an oddy. Some people do nothing to create that bond and then wonder why their dog likes their other dog better than they like them ;) Glad that isn't the case here!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine sure is!

I only have ever had one female GSD and one male. My female is not interested in playing with other dogs - only interested in people but not super affectionate. Only likes to be pet on her terms. My male loves other dogs, is a snuggle bug - super easy going and just happy.
sounds like EXACTLY what I am looking for though! I love the fact they are people oriented and not super affectionate 100% of the time! thank you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an odd ball on my hands too, so I totally understand that! Good to hear that you did train them separate and he's just an oddy. Some people do nothing to create that bond and then wonder why their dog likes their other dog better than they like them ;) Glad that isn't the case here!
Well this is def my first odd ball (and I really don't like it lol it doesn't feel natural to me) Yes ive spent more time and money into this oddy than any dog in my life hahah. Just trying at all cost to avoid this from happening again in the future if at all possible!:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it depends on the individual dog. Females are more mature and reserved -lady like. I find I connect with them on another level. I also found females want to please you and the males want to see how far they can push you. I have found males to be more goofy,playful and always in the middle of the action.Stubborn yes- charming-yes. when we brought Max home we had him for one week. Max was only 9 weeks old . The Christmas tree was up and he was chewing the jingle bells on the tree skirt. I told him no and removed him and played with his toy. He went back over to the tree skirt with his toy and layed down with his back facing me. He chewed as what it seemed to be his toy. I was not born yesterday and went over to check it out. He was chewing on the jingle bell. I'm sure he though the trade was fair. Tricky little pup. I have to be one step ahead.
Sounds like exactly what im looking for then is the females. Thank you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts