German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a purebred working line GSD, Nyxie. She's beautiful, healthy, with insane amounts of drive and energy.

I feed her raw and she loves it, I love it, we all love it, it's magnificent. i.e. I feed her over a cup of raw steak at 8am and another at 5pm along with a serving of vegetables and vitamins. I'm also feeding her healthy treats throughout the day.

With that said, my only concern is that @ 14 weeks old, she weighs only 20 pounds. You wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at her that she's so light in weight because of her coat.

Her father is about 80 pounds. Mother is about 65.

Tell me there's nothing to worry about and I'm doing it right.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
LOL there truely is nothing to worry about, she is fine, some are just lighter weight and I love the fact that the parents were the standard size, hard to find seeing how some many people boast that the male was 120+lbs and the female over 90+lbs, you should be able to FEEL her last two ribs and she should have a nice dip do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
You might want to do a search on the BARF forum about how to properly feed a raw diet. Steak is great, but she also needs raw meaty bones and organ meats to have complete nutrition.

·
Registered
629 Posts
You need to add more variety than just 2 cups of steak a day. You need different types of meats, different types of organs, and there needs to be a bone portion. What about pork, chicken, goat, rabbit, lamb, turkey, venison ect. ? Also a ratio overtime of 10% RMB, 10% organ(at least 5% should be liver) and the remaining 80% should be meat muscle. However that is just a guideline I give my pup a little more bone about 35% his poop looks better that way.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
At 20 lbs she should be eating almost 2lbs a day, and cut down from there if getting plump. 2 cups of meat isnt even a lb I think. Pups eat lots because they are putting on weight.

My girl was 24 at 11 weeks but she had been eating 2-3 7.5 ounce drumsticks from 7 weeks on.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Your not giving her the nutrition she needs. Where is the bone? Organ meat? Etc. veggies they can't even digest unless you are preparing them properly. Thank god your giving vitamins. But research a proper raw diet and get rid of the rest.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts