German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WHY IS MY Female GSD aggession or protective towards male GSD

I recently adopted an 9 month old GSD female puppy into our home yesterday. We also have a 4 1/2 month old male. The female shows alot of aggression or protective towards my male. I cant seem to figure out why the NEW pup seems to be the acting this way. The male seems to be just wanting to play with her. We do not plan on breeding these dogs, but just trying to figure out what we can do to make them get along. Any positive answers will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well when my male tries to interact or play with the female she gets aggressive and bites at him. I have only had her since yesterday,but I dont want her to try to kill my pup. Is there something I should be doing differently. I took her on a long walk because when i got her yesterday she had ALOT of energy. I really don't think she has never been on a walk.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
What is her background/history? She may be fear-aggressive towards the pup. It is not uncommon for older pups to be afraid of younger ones. Keep them apart until you have formed a bond with the new one and reintroduce them gradually. Right now she is probably overwhelmed by the new people and environment. You have to be patient and gentle with her.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
You can't expect a bond after a day or so. I'd suggest only keeping them together on walks. Dogs behave so much better, when they're walking side by side. If you have a spouse, each take a dog, and go for walks, without them having to interact. Let them walk right next to each other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@PaddyD, I dont know much of her history because the original owner could not get in contact with the person she got her from, but I was so attracted to her that I took her in. After a couple of visits before I got her she bonded with me sooooo well. I wish I knew her background though. Thank you for your advice, I will try it.

@Anthony8858, I think im gonna ask the wifey if she wants to walk now:)
Thank you also, your answer was great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this same issue, but in reverse order.. My older female shepherd was aggressive towards my new puppy at first. I eventually put the puppy inside of a large pet crate and covered the entire thing with towels save for the front.

I allowed my older one to sniff and growl until i felt confident to let them meet. It took a few days before they formed a bond. Now I cannot separate them...

I hope this passes.. having two babies is so much more fun than one.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Remember that a 9 mo. old puppy plays very hard...maybe it's not being aggressive?
Sheena (female)was 10 mos. old when I brought home 3 mo. old Nikko (male). She beat the heck out of him...or so I thought...she actually was just playing very hard with him, as he was much smaller, so it looked like she was beating the heck out of him to me. Honestly, after a few days I wanted to return Nikko to his breeder..it was such wild playing, it got me very nervous. So my situation, also is in reverse.
It all calmed down after a few weeks...and needless to say they became the two best buddies that I could have ever hoped for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts