German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Perhaps using the wrong words so Ill try and make this as detailed as can be. This is Torvi who's 18 months and Bleu who's 9 months and a Husky Corgi mix. Torvi from day 1 we got her at 8 weeks has been probably the happiest dog I've ever been around. She's such a good girl and very emotional. We can introduced Bleu when Torvi was 9 months and their relationship has been amazing. Torvi gets jealous still if she's not first at things sometimes but the two of them have a great relationship. Torvi doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body and I'm thankful for that. She plays with little dogs and is very gentle and plays with big dogs if anything I have to tell Bleu to calm down. Also from day one, ball. Ball ball ball. If there's a ball around which there always is, she'll drop it at your feet 5am-11pm or she'll at least try to get you to play. When other dogs are around she'll engage a bit but she's looking to me for ball and is just happy with ball lol, all she wants to do. Probably the most affectionate, friendly dog I've ever been around. I grew up with 3 GSDs and they were all different in their own way but Torvi is a very gentle soul. When she play fights with bleu she's very vocal and sounds like she wants to kill someone but Bleu or any other dog has never yelped once.

We're in the Jersey City/NYC area and we run into other dogs all the time. When she was 3 months she met this Mut looking dog and Torvi gave her belly, the dog was sniffing her privates and she yelped. Shortly after (6 weeks or so) we were walking her and came across the same dog but I didn't recognize it. It was standing there, rigid, tail not wagging and I just got a bad vibe. My gf wanted to introduce her to everyone which I'm ok with but I want to at least see how the dog is behaving at first. Admittedly very over protective I was going to keep walking but we stopped. Torvi sniffed and the other dog let this gnarly, god awful snarl and Torvi yelped. We got back home and she had a mark on her face that eventually scabbed. I was shaking afterwards, can't help it I love them so much. Next day we were walking and saw a golden doodle. To this day I'm still perplexed because Torvi immediately head down, hair raised and growling. I thought she'd be affected by what happened but that was the only time she's ever been aggressive or angry.

Shortly after that we had met a black gsd male same age so we were going to the dog park by our house to meet. Out first experience in this dog park was like fight club. I'm a big guy and this guy same size with a pit was there. His pit was being aggressive, pushing up on our friends dogs and his dogs kept trying to get away. Eventually his malamute stood up for herself and the pit owner threatened to "let his dog loose" if the malamute wasn't removed from the park. The malamute is as calm as Torvi and our friend said "sir it's your dog being aggressive." Pit owner then threatened to punch our friend who is half the size. Him and a few others left to go to a bigger field and we heard all the horror stories about that park. So me being paranoid we avoided it. Play dates with other dogs became hard and we'd find other parks to hike but it wasn't daily interactions with other dogs. When we'd play ball and see someone, she'd say hi then right back to ball. Her recall is amazing, off leash she gets 8-10 feet ahead and always turns around like "is this ok I'm good?"

Recently started going back to the park later at night and we heard that guy and others left so we've been there a few times. Torvi doesn't like being ganged up on as I'm sure most don't. If there's a group of 5+ little dogs chasing and barking her hair raises and she's always trying to get away. Last night there were two hound type dogs who were a year old. I've never heard a howl like this but the male was nonstop "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" trying to play with Torvi and Torvi just wasn't having it. Constantly trying to get away, even with ball and there's other dogs around she'll chase after it but then not pick it up and back away from the ball allowing other dogs to pick it up. I'm always saying to myself "Torvi that's your ball fight for your ball" or stand your ground. Then this HUGE pitbull with a muzzle came in. 125 pounds year old male and this dog was the biggest pit I've ever seen. Torvi has this thing where she won't bark at little dogs but bigger dogs they'll play really quick and then Torvi will bark to get them to play. The pit began chasing Torvi and they both barreled into my knee. Thankfully nothing happened but after that Torvi was running away crying until the dog went elsewhere. Owners were friendly but the pit wasn't trained at all. Ran and jumped at me a few times, not aggressive just puppy behavior but he's huge so it's not fun. Anytime that dog came around shed hide behind me or my gf even jumping on the park bench to get away.

I've always blamed myself for her I guess timidness. After that Mut bit her I became paranoid. I'd still introduce her to other dogs and she'd play but avoided the dog parks. There's nothing I'd change about her aside from the whining sometimes at night because she wants ball (literally around the clock) or when she gets jealous but I didn't want an aggressive dog. Also the shedding. Omg the shedding. We didn't teach her protection training or anything like that. I know guys who want their dogs "badasses" I just wanted her happy and I got my wish. I love both of them so much and just don't want anything bad to happen to them. My memory is too vivid and I can still hear that dogs snarl. I've seen vicious dog attacks and I'd be mortified if something happened to either one of them. Any advice I honestly don't know what to do. There's other dogs she knows and they'll chase each other but in that dog park sometimes she's just not comfortable. Also the letting other dogs take her ball happens everywhere. Is there anything I can do? We've definitely spoiled her but her and Bleu deserve it. Just want her happy and confident. It's almost as if she doesn't realize she's a GSD. Still to date the fastest dog I've seen, lightning quick. Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this and any advice you offer. Here's some pictures I hope everyone likes.

Attachments

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many of us will say to Just Say No to Dog Parks. Your two dogs will be just fine if you never step foot in one again. My GSDs were not dog park dogs. We only used them if we were alone in there. And they were very happy together with us and each other.
As far a timidity goes, that can be tough. Confidence comes with overcoming situations. So do novel things out on hikes together. Hop over logs, learn tricks, play scent games, explore places that don't include a bunch of strange dogs.
We do all that stuff she's confident all the time except in that dog park. She's curious, very agile, goes neck deep in water and swims. All she wants is her ball but if there's another dog around she won't pick it up if another is chasing after as well. She's very well behaved and we're lucky. Loves people, very affectionate. Only time she's not herself is around dogs she doesn't know.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with car2ner.It's not necessary for your dogs to interact with other dogs outside of your family. Think about how street dogs behave - they live and move around in proximity to each other but generally ignore each other. I would respect what Torvi is comfortable with.Love your pictures!
Which is why for the most part I take them to the park/field by my house and they run around. Off leash if they see other dogs they'll look but both recalls are 99.9% guaranteed. A few occasions they'll take steps towards other dogs but by the second recall request they come. Even Bleu who's such an alpha for a tiny dog was intimidated by this hounds constant "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and even moreso with the pit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts