German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my female about five days ago. The breeder we got her from was a male and he "said" she had been around a bunch of kids and other people but im starting to doubt that. My husband came with me to get her and she rode right beside us on the way home. He had to go to work the next day and has been at work for the last four, only really seeing her for about two hours a night. She flat out refuses to go to him. We have done where he gives her treats and she is getting a little better but im still kind of worried. I took her to my grandparents today and it took her about three hours to warm up to them though she still wouldnt go up to be pat. I know i need to do A LOT more socialization with her, which is a big to do these upcoming weeks. My question is if this is normal for a 17 week old puppy and what else i should be doing??

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Pick her up and hand her to your husband while praising her. Don't let her think about how scary he is. The more you let her think about it, the more scared she gets.

This is not normal healthy behavior in a puppy and you may have a fearful dog for the rest of her life. You may be able to improve this with a ton of long term socialization, but she will most likely always be on the fearful side to some degree.

The important thing is you don't let her act on it and become fear aggressive. It's not that hard to live with a fearful dog, but a fear aggressive dog is a hazard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thankyou. Thats what i have been reading also. I want to get her into a puppy socialization class but i live in a small town, with the nearest big city being over an hour away, so im quite limited on where i can go. I am just going to start taking her every where with me and getting her around a ton of people.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
ok thankyou. Thats what i have been reading also. I want to get her into a puppy socialization class but i live in a small town, with the nearest big city being over an hour away, so im quite limited on where i can go. I am just going to start taking her every where with me and getting her around a ton of people.
I would also carry lots of yummy treats with me and ask people you meet to give them to her - sometimes works wonders in getting puppies to learn that strangers can be very nice people!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
take the hour drive to find a class. train and socialize.
don't wait untill you're going somewhere to train and socialize.
make time to train and socialize everyday, several times a day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
take the hour drive to find a class. train and socialize.
don't wait untill you're going somewhere to train and socialize.
make time to train and socialize everyday, several times a day.
I have been. I meant i am waiting for my family to come back home and friends to come back so i can start bringing her to them. I dont live by neighbors to do so and all i have are horses and other animals. I live on several acres of land, over 30 mins from town and i stay at home. Ive been snowed in until today so thats why it was the first time she had met my grandparets. She has already met my sister in law and did pretty well with her.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I dont live by neighbors to do so and all i have are horses and other animals. I live on several acres of land, over 30 mins from town and i stay at home.
Same here, exept I work. With pups I had, and with socializing my rescue dog, it was a matter of making the extra effort and taking the extra time to socialize said pups/rescue. That meant getting back into the car, and going somewhere. Even if it was only to drive out to a residential area and have a leash walk - pup is exposed to what I call the real world, and experiences more than my back field and quiet, deserted rural road.

And socializing doesn't meant she has to interact with a zillion people, just walking around calmly without fear around people is a great start.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
My Zoe was not impressed with my DH either for months after we got her. He just expected the pup to like him though I was the one home with her all day, feeding, walking, and training her. It just doesn't work that was with most GSD's- they bond to a person and it's usually the caretaker. Make hubby feed and walk her once a day without you around. I locked myself in a bedroom,lol Make him begin training with her as well again with you gone. It got so bad Zoe would take off for home the minute he took her leash off so for months he had to walk her on leash only.

The breaking point was when the kids and I vacationed for a week with her being home alone with him. She had to rely on him and they formed a bond this way. She still prefers me, but will listen to him and happily go for walks with him:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you Zoey. he has four days off coming up so i will do that. I know its because he isen't home and there is nothing i can do to change that, i just want to make sure they are ok with each other when i leave for the academy. My hubby is the same way as you stated, he just expected her to go up to him and like him much like my blue heeler does, even though he isen't really home four days out of the week. She is going every where with us this week, whether hubby likes it or not, so that she can get out. The snow is finally starting to melt so i can actually start going back into town lol.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I would have your husband walk around dropping treats without looking at the pup or talking to her- no interaction at all, just dropping some treats, she should figure out that he's a cool guy. And I agree, just act as though everything's normal and don't do the 'it's ok, good girl' stuff or it will reinforce her behavior.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts