German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I have 2 gsd's one male and female 2 months apart. Male lucky is 11 months and Sophie the female is 9 months. Lately our female is has been super mellow not really eating but drinking water. She does eat though however if i sit there and hand feed it to her. Our females behavior changed recently when we left lucky and her alone for a few hours. Im thinking that lucky must have ate all of her food and she didn't get to eat until dinner time. Sophie used to be super energetic loves doing her tricks to earn treats. lately she hasn't been interested in her treats, shes been lazying around the house, she just seems uninterested in everything I show her her favorite toys she just stares at them. I been running with her since its routine every morning and figured it would make her hungry but she still wont eat she eats 2 bites and thats all. This has been going on about 1 and a half. I don't know if I'm being an over bearing mommy or I should be happy she's mellowed out.

Anyone know how to get Sophie out of her funk? Or have had similar behavior problems with female? ImageUploadedByPG Free1370456471.071243.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Hello everyone
I have 2 gsd's one male and female 2 months apart. Male lucky is 11 months and Sophie the female is 9 months. Lately our female is has been super mellow not really eating but drinking water. She does eat though however if i sit there and hand feed it to her. Our females behavior changed recently when we left lucky and her alone for a few hours. Im thinking that lucky must have ate all of her food and she didn't get to eat until dinner time. Sophie used to be super energetic loves doing her tricks to earn treats. lately she hasn't been interested in her treats, shes been lazying around the house, she just seems uninterested in everything I show her her favorite toys she just stares at them. I been running with her since its routine every morning and figured it would make her hungry but she still wont eat she eats 2 bites and thats all. This has been going on about 1 and a half. I don't know if I'm being an over bearing mommy or I should be happy she's mellowed out.

Anyone know how to get Sophie out of her funk? Or have had similar behavior problems with female? View attachment 77234

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Are either of them fixed?

You know your dogs best-- trust your gut :) If you feel like she's "off", a check-up might be in order.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Obviously, you know your dogs better than I do, but I can tell you a little about my female GSD.

Corey isn't super food motivated (from what I hear, this isn't uncommon). It's also not uncommon for her to skip meals. I was warned by her trainer (Corey is a guide dog, so before coming to me, she was trained at the facility for 6 months) that she'd skip meals and that, if I let her, she'd manipulate me into hand feeding her and babying her. GSDs can be very manipulative. Corey would LOVE me to hand feed her. Instead, if she's not eating, I put her food away and she doesn't get it until dinner time. She's getting the point now that she either eats or doesn't and I don't coddle her. I will say, though, that for the first two weeks of having her, she skipped over half her meals. Now she only skips maybe one meal a week.

That said, even when she doesn't skip meals, she does take a minute to eat. She might take a bite, walk away, come back, stare at the food, walk away. Sometimes it takes her a good ten minutes to decide to eat.

I can't comment on energy or enthusiasm - those are not problems my girl has, the opposite in fact - but what do you do when she's seeming mellow? Do you give her more affection? Again, I don't know your dog, but I know that sometimes Corey will act kind of "down" when she wants me to give her affection/baby her (again, manipulative!)

If you're really worried, though, a visit to the vet can't hurt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts