German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I recently had a foster in my house he was 5 months but my Sasha would get mad everytime he wanted to snuggle on me. I need help with her, she is even jealous if my boyfriend touches me, either she wants to be center of attention or starts jumping and mouthing him. What is the best way to train her out of this bad habit, it has gone too far. And at some point I would like another GSD for the family.
Will she grow out of this
Please helppppppp ImageUploadedByPG Free1364838189.641719.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
She will not grow out of it. You have to correct her when she starts to show the jealousy. Do you have a prong collar?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one but haven't used it yet, in fear that I may apply it wrong. Why is it that trainers have recommended that I don't use it?
So it's not a teenage thing?

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
At 13 months, it's time to apply corrections for undesirable behavior. She is resource guarding, and that is not okay. She needs to learn that she does not decide who does what in the house. Do not let her do this.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
As soon as she shows the first sign of resource guarding you, you immediately gently but firmly take her by the collar (so keep her collar on), say,"Oops!" and put her behind a closed door (not her crate) for a few minutes. No talking or explaining to her. Then get her out on leash and practice down-stays. Repeat as often as needed.
Take it as a lesson from her: you need to get in charge of this dog. She basically owns you, along with her toys. Go to a class and give her plenty of exercise and of course the NILIFF treatment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We currently are in treiball classes and it is hard because my boyfriend stays with me 50% of the time. She acts out only around him.

So when she is guarding her toys against another dog, grab her collar and say oops. Put her in time out and let her out and make her do sits, touches and down with treats?

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
We currently are in treiball classes and it is hard because my boyfriend stays with me 50% of the time. She acts out only around him.

So when she is guarding her toys against another dog, grab her collar and say oops. Put her in time out and let her out and make her do sits, touches and down with treats?

Toys are for interacting with you.

Do not let toys lie around for her to just have access whenever she feels like it. Remove the toys and she won't have anything to guard.

I would implement NILIF as soon as possible.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
It is very important to get out of the mind set that your pup is being 'jealous'. She has taken control of you and anything else she determines she wants.

NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) will help you change HER mindset. You give her nothing till she does something for you. It doesn't have to be a full work out for your pup. And you don't have to go through all of her OB or all of her 'parlor tricks' for a single treat or cuddle time. A simple command - something easy for her - gets something from you.

When your boyfriend comes over, ask your pup to lay down in a specific area in the room you are in with your boyfriend. She is to stay there till you invite her to join you. If this isn't something she is used to, don't make her lay long. Even for a minute or two. While she is laying (or sitting) don't stare at her or wait for her to make a mistake. If she gets up, gently take her back to her 'spot' and repeat the command. Make up your mind to do this as often as it takes. Don't lose your temper, or get angry.

You've allowed her to come to this point, it's up to you to let her know there's a new sheriff in town. You want to be fair to her, she doesn't realize she is doing anything wrong.

If she's allowed on the furniture, take that away from her. She has to be invited. Remember she'll be confused so don't correct her. If she jumps up on your bed, gently guide her down and tell her 'off'. Up she'll jump again, gently guide her down and tell her 'off'. After a bit she'll remain on the floor looking at you. THEN you can invite her up. If she's stubborn, take away her ability to get on the furniture all together. Wait till she shows respect for you.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@lilie
I admit she has, I didn't even notice. It's funny though when she is with my boyfriend she respects him and everyone she is with. When she is with me she doesn't respect anyone but me.
I def thinks she needs to know her place, it's so bad that I don't even have guests come over because she acts like she owns them by jumping on them. And if I put her in a crate, it's non stop barking
I usually practice NILF when she eats or gets a treat, but I don't have treats all the time which doesn't help.
Thanks I have a long list of homework I feel bad for letting her get this far with me

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problems with rules.
So I tried doing some obedience with a clicker. Which really got her riled up. She started mouthing me because I told her what to do, simple things like go to your bed, go to your crate, sit down and down stays. She started running around and mouthing me. She is testing me, so I put her in her crate for a time out.
What should I do?

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
You cannot "just try obedience" with a clicker. There is a lot to it and you need to study how it works first.
If I were you, I would go find a class where you learn how to use it. It sounds like she got completely crazy and over reacted as a result. Correct me if I am wrong. This is the internet and I didn't see her behavior, nor do I know for sure if you knwo the method. (I each clicker training).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have been to many obedience classes which involved the clicker. She knows that she has to work, but I never really tried it inside the house. It's usually outside or during class. Currently we are in a treiball class. Which teaches focus and alot of touch. She does great outside, inside is the problem. To me it seemed like she was fighting my commands and maybe got tired. So she acted out, am I wrong?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh and I ended it with some find it exercises and a lil tug of war.
After she got hyper I put her in her crate and then let her out and told her to go to her bed and she complied and now she has been sleeping ever since.
I also noticed that in general she acts out when she bored or even has to go to the bathroom, just like a little kid.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
She knows that she has to work, but I never really tried it inside the house. It's usually outside or during class.
Obedience is for everywhere and anytime. If you only work her outside you'll have dog that will try you out. They are too smart to let us get away with this. She is NOT like a little kid; she is a adolescent dog (animal) trying to see how far she can climb the ladder. If you don't step up your training, you will get more problematic behavior down the road.
"If we treat them like people, they will treat us like dogs" (quote from a fellow dog trainer).
If you do it right with the clicker training she should be solid on her basic obedience by now. Increasing her physical and mental exercise will help a great deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts