German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female Akira went to the vet last week for her vaccines and a check up, she weighed in at 66 pounds. The vet seemed to think this was too small for her age.. however, she seems perfectly healthy to me ?? She is lean, but proportioned well, her ribs can be felt (not easily) and not seen. Not sure if the vet I took her to was used to seeing massive shepherds, but I always thought she was normal weight/size for a female!! How much do your females weigh? And is she full grown at this age?? I've attached some pics for reference :) Thank you!!
Water Sky Dog Carnivore Dog breed
Water Sky Dog Dog breed Working animal
Dog Black Door Carnivore Dog breed
Water Dog Water resources Sky Plant
Dog Furniture Vertebrate Comfort Couch

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
She looks great to me, I wouldn't say underweight at all.
Breed standard for females are generally 21-24" at the withers.
The is no official breed standard for weight but generally accepted for females is 49-71 pounds.

Your dog is perfect and yes, vets see oversized and fat dogs all the time. I have an 80 pound male that I'm asked quite often if he's small for a GSD.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She looks great to me, I wouldn't say underweight at all.
Breed standard for females are generally 21-24" at the withers.
The is no official breed standard for weight but generally accepted for females is 49-71 pounds.

Your dog is perfect and yes, vets see oversized and fat dogs all the time. I have an 80 pound male that I'm asked quite often if he's small for a GSD.
Thank you!! Thats what I figured- She seems healthy to me, thats why I was shocked when the vet said she seemed underweight!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Our Vet says Vienna is underweight but our breeder says he is perfect…go figure. She is 16 months and about 52Lbs (maybe a bit more since I haven’t weighed her since she was spayed last month)

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,610 Posts
our girl is 18 month old, 55 pounds, just had a vet visit and was told she is in perfect shape. But our vet also does equestrian and sees a lot of working farm dogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts