German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my dog for 1 month now. My first and probably last dog we would ever have. I'm pretty sure I love him. When I'm out I either worry about him or miss him. I would hurry to come home to him. I play with him daily basis. When he has every little health problem I take him to the vet. I work from home so I'm with him 24/7. My husband loves him too. We got him a bunch of toys, bones, take him to pupppy class and both of us always be there.

I think my pup loves me too. He follow me around. Give me kisses. Go crazy when I came home. He is almost completely potty trained so that take a good load off of our shoulder.

Problem is, sometime I feel like I need a break... from him. Even though he didn't do anything wrong. He would wake us up at 5 or 6 am and most morning I'm okay, some morning I'm mad especially when he doesn't go potty. And it sucks because sometime I would go to the spa or something wishing to get a break from him, and yet the whole time on the spa bed I'm thinking about him, worry he will be forced to go in the crate or something.

I sometimes, and i believe my husband does too, miss those time when we didn't have him. We have all the time for each other. We can get up and go on the weekend getaway. We can sleep in. We can eat our dinner without being interrupt.

Is this make me a bad dog owner? I know I'm not a dog person. I don't love any other dogs other than mine. I hate being torn between these two feelings like this. Have others ever been experience this feeling like me? Is this because he is a puppy so he is more demanding than adult one? What the heck is my problem?!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I wouldnt say so. Coming from a newly wed couple myself i understand. Love my pup to bits but sometimes i miss the just us time. Its a fleeting minute when Gunther is driving me insane but i could never give him up. He my baby :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I asked my self several times the first year "what have I gotten myself into"
had the same feeling when I had kids too and other dogs.
I think it is normal. It's life. A forestaste of things to come.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I love my husband, kids, dogs and cats. However, there are times I just don't want to be around ANY of them. Doesn't make me a bad person. Everyone has limits, and sometimes, you reach them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
2 years ago i had to put my senior dog down. it tore me apart. i still had another rescue dog, but nothing would replace my sweet Katie. i told myself there would be no more dogs after thiis last one departed this planet. over the years i had to deal with those endings that were always so painful. a rottie, a gsd, etc.

i told myself i wanted to get some freedom back and less worry when i wanted to take a vacation or short trip.

i told myself that caring for those dogs when they were old was more than i wanted to deal with

i told myself many things

but nothing in the world stopped that pull on my heart 4 months ago to add another dog to my pack.

yes they change the dynamics in the home, but wait ... just wait .... soon you will wonder why you waited so long there is nothing wrong with you. puppies are demanding ... and tiring. but look around at all those mature wonderful dogs that are loved. your puppy will be no different.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I felt sometimes overhelmed too. My boy is now 16 months and life with him is much easyer, sleeps late if we are too, mellow and can be by himself in house just fine. First year was hard but i wouldn't change anything. He is my baby. I'm sure longer you are together more you will love him.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There's always an adjustment period. It took a while, but my husband and I have fully accepted we're dog people now and our lives revolve around involving our dogs in all aspects of recreation and daily life. We couldn't be happier. We take them on vacation, road trips - the works. I haven't slept in in the two years we've had the dogs and frankly, I don't care anymore.

However, we all have our breaking points. Several times in the first six months after adopting our muttpuppy we felt like we couldn't take it any more. He was six months old when we rescued him. We had sleepless nights for the first few months due to his being awake or needing midnight pee breaks/sniffing the backyard for no apparent reason. He was never taught bite inhibition, so he was bitey and had impulse control issues. On more than one occasion I broke down and cried. After establishing firm routines and getting him through a few rounds of training, life is so much easier. He still is a lot of work, but it just seems easier now....

...that was, until we fostered a six month old 60 pound dog who was like a bull in a china shop in our house. I loved the snot out of that dog but he lived his life at 150 mph (and riled up my other two dogs). He cried all night long. I don't think we got a full night of sleep the entire time we had him. He was sweet, wonderful, full of life and I loved him so darn much...but I was so tired and stressed the whole time we fostered him. I was relieved when we found a wonderful forever home for him and I was happy to be able to sleep again, but I still miss him!

You'll get through this period and your life will adjust. You're not a bad person - I think parents of human babies probably go through this too. Haha!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Phew!!

For a minute, I thought you had a real problem :)

I would say that a large number of us have experienced much the same as you. It can be overwhelming.

Crate would help, scheduled breaks for you, and don't be afraid to say no!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
My husband always reminds me that life doesn't revolve around the dogs, it hasn't sunken in yet and probably never will. If I only had 1 dog I would find the best doggie day car or doggie spa for those weekend get aways and such.
Now that I have 2 senior dogs I never want to leave them, who am i kidding, I never want to leave my dogs whwn they are young

·
Banned
377 Posts
Adjustment period for both you and the dog. Hang in there. It isn't easy and sometimes you wonder what you got yourself into. But it's worth it.
It's like the first few months at a new school ... or military boot camp. You don't like it much but when it is in the past you feel darn good.
There were (many) times that we were on the verge of taking our puppy back to the breeder. We are Sooooo glad we stuck it out, you will be too.

·
Super Moderator
32,341 Posts
Everybody knows that puppies are cute and fun, but they don't always realize how much hard work they can be unless they've had one before. It's easy to be overwhelmed for the first few months, but it does get better. Put the time and effort in now, and you'll have a fantastic dog, hopefully for the next 10 or 12 years. Since this is your first dog, you haven't yet experienced what comes AFTER all the hard work, and I think once you do you'll find that this stage is worth it in the long run.

Once a puppy is reliably housebroken, can sleep through the night, and is past the worst of the chewing phase and doesn't need to be watched every single second, it's much less stressful, and you can start to relax and enjoy him. The fact that you're home with him all the time probably makes it harder for you - don't feel guilty for crating him for a few hours during the day to get things done, or even for some "me" time.

Our dogs will sleep in with me on the weekends, don't pester us while we eat dinner, and we either take them places with us on the weekend or we board them if we go out of town, so although our lives definitely do revolve around our pets to a good extent, that's our choice and we like it that way. You may find that once your bond grows you won't be able to imagine life without him anymore.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I don't think you are a bad dog owner. You sound stressed out, and like you need a break for yourself. A lot like a new parent :)

It's natural, I think. There are some days I wish I hadn't adopted three dogs, and feel like my life belongs to them and their needs...but like you, when I'm away from them, I miss them like crazy.

Hang in there, and don't beat yourself up!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish I can quote all of you guys and thanks yall individually for your response! I do feel better now that I know others have been through it too. I guess I was too focusing planning on getting a puppy and how to raise him that I forgot to realize what all i'll be giving up.

I never own a dog. Had one when I was young but in my country where i'm from, especially back then, they don't care of their dog nearly this much. The dog would run loose. Poop in front of neighbors yard. Eat human food leftover from the trash. Got no toys. Mostly outside dog. I remember my relative was making fun of this grooming place in the nice part of town that people are so ridiculous to take their dogs to a place like that. There are almost no purebreed dog in that country. Those that are, are imported. People don't care enough to spay/neuter their dogs. So there are muttpuppy roaming around everywhere. And they all bite when you get close to them. So when I whine about taking my dog to puppy class, my parent back in my country, say that I chose to do this to myself. I could treat him like a "dog". I don't ever agree with her. Yes he is a lot of work, but he deserves much more than that.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
You're not a bad person or owner and there's nothing wrong with you.

This is normal, especially in the first year. And especially if you don't have experience with raising a puppy.

I have 3... a 3 yr old, 2yr old, and a 10 month old. I can't even tell you how many times I've asked myself "What did I get myself into?!?!". I get overwhelmed.... like all people do every once n a while.

When all 3 dogs decide to act out, or we have a bad day.... I wish I could just crawl into bed and escape. Not to mention I miss being able to go away on vacation, I miss "Our" time that my SO and I used to have. Most of my days are surrounded by the dogs. Since I also do sports with them.... I am constantly working with them.

It's definitely an adjustment. The first year is rough.... after that, things start to level out and you can enjoy more. Some people LOOOVE the puppy months... others look forward to it being over. It's not easy, so don't beat yourself up. Every once in a while.. DO go to the spa... the pup will be fine. Take care of yourself too. Still have time with your husband... put the pup in a crate for a bit... go watch a movie, or go to dinner, or whatever else you used to do.

Good luck with your pup! Things will get better soon.;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Completely normal feelings, i have had those same feelings on and off the past year. I got a puppy then got pregnant and now i have a baby, I still feel the need for a break but only because my baby is 6 months old. had the same feelings with my first child and first dog (surprisingly same scenario, puppy, pregnancy, baby LOL) and they went away once the pup and kid were a bit older.

now I wonder why did I do this to myself AGAIN hehehehe

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
He's a puppy, it won't be like this forever. They become a lot less high maintence when they become adults. My dog spends most of the day sleeping in various spots. The other day my dog was inside for 4 hours and I didn't even realize it until I opened the backdoor and called for him and he came up behind me. Then I remembered I hadn't put him outside in the morning.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Been there, done that. I used to put Stella in doggie day care for half days so I could get a break. It was just so overwhelming sometimes. It has gotten easier as she is growing up. Now at 21 months she is not quite as demanding. I figure in another year from now I may actually be able to sleep in!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Completely normal feelings, i have had those same feelings on and off the past year. I got a puppy then got pregnant and now i have a baby, I still feel the need for a break but only because my baby is 6 months old. had the same feelings with my first child and first dog (surprisingly same scenario, puppy, pregnancy, baby LOL) and they went away once the pup and kid were a bit older.

now I wonder why did I do this to myself AGAIN hehehehe
Oh my! lol You got a handful!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts