German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I was out playing with Gabe in my front yard. A good time was being had by all.

However, my neighbors across the street have a pair of Border Collies and their half-grown pup, and all are allowed to roam. The parents are very street smart and actually look both ways before crossing the street, but the pup is still kind of stupid. He ran out of his yard to stand in the street and bark at Gabe. Gabe didn't even notice; he was too focused on playing with me.

However, I noticed that a HUGE truck was speeding down the road and yelled at the pup. I started to run toward it, to chase it out of the street, but after a few steps, I noticed Gabe was still following me, intent on our game, and I stopped.

The pup's owner came out just in time to see the truck miss him by such a narrow margin that I thought he'd been hit. He saw me standing in my yard in clear view of the situation, and is angry at me for:
1) "Taunting" the pup into the street
2) Not rescuing the puppy.

Now, I know I wasn't taunting, but I still feel guilty that I was so quick to stop and abandon the puppy to being hit. What would ya'll have done? Should I apologize?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
It's just easier to blame someone else than to take responsibility for ones own neglect. His puppy is not your responsibilty. Hopefully he will not let his dogs run free, but we all know that's probably not the case.

·
Registered
766 Posts
don't apologize. I know it sucks but those dogs aren't your responsibility. you did your best to get the pup out of the road and you succeeded but your own safety and your dogs safety are key priority. that person should apologize to you for being ungrateful that you risked your safety to save his dog.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Maybe you can explain to the owner that your dog was following you and you didn't want to put her in danger. Surely they can't be too mad at you, after all they were the ones not watching their dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe it's just because I used to keep that pup's father out of the street when he was a puppy. (Not that there was any sort of agreement about it, but I did.)

Maybe he expected that I'd do the same for this one? But now I have my own dog to look after and I don't want his dogs in my yard anymore because they try to antagonize Gable.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
As much as it sucks, I'm glad you and your dog are safe.

It's the owners responsibility to contain the dog, even if you were standing on the street waving a toy in their dogs face it still is THEIR responsibility. You were playing on your own private property and you have every right to.

I would have just simply explained that you were playing with your dog in your yard and their dog decided to try and run over. No, I would NOT apologize as you were doing nothing wrong

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks, everyone. I guess I just needed some justification. I did want to help the puppy, but I questioned myself when I didn't act.

I DON'T want their puppy to be hurt by any means.

Unfortunately, they're planning on breeding more litters, and I hope maybe this was a wake-up call to contain their dogs...though I doubt it. Both parents roam freely, so I doubt they'll stop allowing that. They are "too hyper" when they're contained.

Also, I'm glad Gabe is safe, too. Of course, he doesn't go outside alone and he doesn't try to leave the yard unless he's with me, so this was an unusual situation...although I suspect that if future litters are bred across the street (as they intend), this scene may repeat itself.

·
Registered
766 Posts
unfortunately these people don't sound like very good dog owners and I hate to hear "breeding" associated with it. It sounds like its going to take something bad to happen for them to get their act together. As you said you used to keep the older dogs out of the road when they were younger so its obviously not a new thing

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Gabe could have easily seen the puppy and dashed across the street to meet his fate by the truck. You most certainly did the correct thing in placing your dog first. Gabe is dependant on you to keep him safe.

You did the right thing!!!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Your neighbor is crazy and irresponsible. I would not apologize or even consider engaging with someone like that at all.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Actually you did exactly the right thing. If you has rushed out to try and save the puppy without thinking, TWO dogs could have been killed.

The owner is just guilty and projecting their bad feelings into you because you're an easy target.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts