German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Puppy, old dog don't like her, growls and snarls, snapped at her a couple times made her yelp, hoping she didnt hurt her. i made a mistake today and i feel so bad, was cutting up cooked turkey and stupidly gave 12 wk old puppy some, later on she got sick now she is sleeping, she is usually crated at this time of night when we are at work so not sure if she is still sick or just her time for nap. I feel bad because i made her sick and now i am not sure if she will be ok. She was only sick once but was wondering if i should give her something or do something for her.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I would rest her tummy for 12 hours, limiting water as well. Start her on a cooked chicken double boiled rice if possible in the morning, if she barfs that get her into the vet. She may have something more than the turkey upset.
12 weeks is too young to let it go longer than 24 hours without consulting a vet. Don't let the vet give her any vax if she is not up to par. Did she recently get a set of shots? If so, it may be a reaction to shots and I'd let your vet know.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Why is it stupid to give a 12 week old puppy cooked turkey?? :confused:

I'm sorry she got sick, but this isn't because of any wrong-doing.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Sometimes cooked turkey plays havoc on dogs digestion. Raw, no problem!
I would also watch the interactions between the two, if the older one is acting hostile

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Oh! Haha, I didn't know that. I just assumed raw was fine so cooked must be better... I guess you learn something new everyday!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
my mom has an 8 month old anklebiter and he is rawfed. She gave him cooked turkey at Thanksgiving and he proceeded to barf it after a half hour or so. He was fine after that, had never barfed raw. Weird, what the cooked does.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Often the cooked stuff has salt and water or broth added so that it will stay moist, etc. I think anything that you give a lot of can cause a problem. A little chunk of turkey cooked or raw should not make a dog sick. I agree that if the dog is sick in the morning, get her to a vet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts