German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Of course you do have to realize that the AAFCO requirements were based on dogs being fed a corn based kibble and grains have a profound effect on nutrient absorption.

I don't think AAFCO has really been revisited since then.....

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
My dog doesn't eat homemade food, but the article was interesting. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think the article was put out there to make you buy kibble and can food.
University of California, Davis doesn't sell food. They are a research veterinary hospital. They also do all the regional emergency surgeries on every police k9 injured in the line of duty.

I also do not sell dog food and in fact rarely endorse or even disclose the brand or type of food our police canines eat since they are very unlike non-working dogs.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
If you provide enough variety (including different protein sources, appropriate amounts of bone, meat, and organs) a dog will get what they need from the food.
I don't know any person who has their own diets created by nutritionists or that eat Total three 3x/day, 7 days/week, yet we're all doing pretty well. Why is a dog's diet so much more complicated? It's not!

Edit: Also, your headline, 'Feeding your dog homemade food is very risky," is completely misleading. The article says that it can be risky, and yes, it can if you don't know what you're doing. That does not mean that it is risky.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i mean the University findings was influenced by dog food
companies so they can sell more kibble and can food. besides training
what's the difference in police canines (GSD's) and non-working canines
(GSD's)?

i think the article was put out there to make you buy kibble and can food.
University of California, Davis doesn't sell food. They are a research veterinary hospital. They also do all the regional emergency surgeries on every police k9 injured in the line of duty.

I also do not sell dog food and in fact rarely endorse or even disclose the brand or type of food our police canines eat since

>>>>> they are very unlike non-working dogs.<<<<< [/quote]

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Prior to my dog being switched to 100% raw at the age of 12 months, I fed three different premium brand dog foods. One made him stink and gave him an oily coat. The other made him shed, scratch and gave him a dull coat, on the last one he did really good on, just got bored with it and would not touch it after about 2 months. When I switched to raw, his weight became more natural, his coat became better, his dog smell went a way and he started enjoying his meals more. I also get a kick out of putting together meals for him and I enjoy watching him eat. (weird I know). You can feed your dogs commercially produced meat flavored cereal and I will feed mine real fresh raw meat, bone and organs. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I know police who feed a variety of different foods and some who feed raw. ProPlan and Nutro seem pretty common. Feeding kibble can be risky business these days.

Not sure I understand why there would be a "difference" in feeding them. Any working or sport dog is going to have somewhat higher protein and fat requirements than a sedentary dog but other than that...and I am aware of the super high fat study using corn oil, but you won't be catching me giving my dog corn oil to improve his scent performance.

If my life ever gets simpler (right now I have my mother to care for), I will go back to a well planned raw diet using scrap from organic fed / grass fed animals.

This info contains some counterpoint on the whole "100% complete argument" I have heard it elsewhere but this was well written:
http://www.barfworld.com/html/IPEzine/TIP_412012.html

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i feed kibble, can food and lots of fresh meat, fish, fowl
and a lot of other things. i also get a kick out of feeding
my dog and watching him eat. lol.

Prior to my dog being switched to 100% raw at the age of 12 months, I fed three different premium brand dog foods. One made him stink and gave him an oily coat. The other made him shed, scratch and gave him a dull coat, on the last one he did really good on, just got bored with it and would not touch it after about 2 months. When I switched to raw, his weight became more natural, his coat became better, his dog smell went a way and he started enjoying his meals more.

>>>>> I also get a kick out of putting together meals for him and I enjoy watching him eat. (weird I know). <<<<<

You can feed your dogs commercially produced meat flavored cereal and I will feed mine real fresh raw meat, bone and organs. Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i mean the University findings was influenced by dog food
companies so they can sell more kibble and can food. besides training
what's the difference in police canines (GSD's) and non-working canines
(GSD's)?

I also do not sell dog food and in fact rarely endorse or even disclose the brand or type of food our police canines eat since

>>>>> they are very unlike non-working dogs.<<<<< [/quote]
My "working" dog works 10 hours a day, 4 days a week. During that 10 hour day we respond to between 6-8 calls for service and at have least one hour of training each day.

My "pet" dog sleeps more than she's awake. There's no way I could do anything to keep my pet dog awake and alert for 10 hours straight.

Our working dogs eat a commercial dog food that is 40% protein which is more than most vets would recommend for a typical dog.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Prior to my dog being switched to 100% raw at the age of 12 months, I fed three different premium brand dog foods. One made him stink and gave him an oily coat. The other made him shed, scratch and gave him a dull coat, on the last one he did really good on, just got bored with it and would not touch it after about 2 months. When I switched to raw, his weight became more natural, his coat became better, his dog smell went a way and he started enjoying his meals more. I also get a kick out of putting together meals for him and I enjoy watching him eat. (weird I know). You can feed your dogs commercially produced meat flavored cereal and I will feed mine real fresh raw meat, bone and organs. Thanks.
:thumbup:

I like the search for variety -has taken me to some interesting places! :D

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
None of my dogs care for raw and its probably a good thing, because I'm one of those that might not be able to balance it out. They do get it as a treat, but they eat kibble on a regular basis. I feel comfortable with the food they eat. It keeps them lean, good coat, shiny, and most of all they love it! I would feed more raw if they liked it and if they all liked the same thing..there are to many of them and they all just pick at it:(

·
Registered
98 Posts
Feeding kibble seems to be much riskier. Recall after recall for all kinds of nasty stuff. Lots of dogs have died from bad bags of kibble.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Very true, and some places won't tell you the quality of the meat they are using for the kibble.

We make her food and also provide her w the best kibble we can buy. We probably do it 50/50. But the kibble has meat that has passed USDA inspections and hasn't had a recall. We also feed her peas carrots chicken ribeye and a little rice to mx it all together. I don't think you have to just do one or the other. Just try to supply the best of both if u need to.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Salmon is another thing. We quit eating/feeding Pacific fish after Fukushima and things are starting to come out that leaking radiation is worse than we thought.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Please! Dog food is a recent invention, around 100 years old. I'm sure all the dogs that lived before then were not dying. I think this is more to stop people from feeding their dogs stupid things, like grapes and avocado.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts