German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed raw, but Gryffon won't eat raw fish, so I've been giving him canned salmon and other cooked fish.

Someone gave me several frozen whole salmon today and I'm wondering what is the best/easiest way to cook it. I think I remember reading that if you cook it long enough the bones will soften so that they are safe. Is that right? Or will only a pressure cooker make it safe?

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
So...do you just cut up the whole fish into sections, minus the fins (and maybe head?), and simmer the whole thing in vinegar and water? Or do you remove the skin and guts and other bits first?

I ask this as someone who literally has never cooked a whole fish -- or eaten fish in 30 years. I once baked some frozen fish fillets for the dogs (they liked them), but looking at a whole fish, my reaction would be "what-the-heck do I do with that"?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I use freezer-burned donated salmon. I'll boil the mess up until the bones soften, pretty simple, really. The dogs love it, but the smell.... and the grey gunk on top. Kind of nasty. I'd rather dry or smoke the fish, but can't argue with free. Every salmon I've cooked was at least gutted, but I left the skin, tail, fins. It all breaks down into a stew of bits, and the dogs really do enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
So...do you just cut up the whole fish into sections, minus the fins (and maybe head?), and simmer the whole thing in vinegar and water? Or do you remove the skin and guts and other bits first?

I ask this as someone who literally has never cooked a whole fish -- or eaten fish in 30 years. I once baked some frozen fish fillets for the dogs (they liked them), but looking at a whole fish, my reaction would be "what-the-heck do I do with that"?
Depends on the type of fish and where it comes from. The skin and outside layer of fat has the highest concentration of Pesticides, PBDEs, PCBs and other pollutants. Removing the skin and fat can reduce these contaminants by up to 50%. (Of course you do miss out on some of those good Omegas by doing this.)

Tilapia I raised myself from fry in clean water - I cook it all. Just pop those sucker in the crockpot. A trout caught in an Eastern US river... I'd skin those guys and skim the fat off.

Also... gutting, skinning and deheading does cut down on the fishy odor of the cooking a bit

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I have done whole salmon, especially carcasses, because there is alot of meat left on them,,scaled, remove fin, and tail,,boil for several hours, and then run thru food processor..save the liquid you boil in as well..and yes i leave the skin on..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts