German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My khaleesi is 3 months now. We just got a Labrador who is 4 months. We let them both socialize before we got her. They both got and get along good. We will introduce our new pup to the house via techniques from Cesar Milan. Now my question is this.....when we feed them.....what ideas do y'all have for me? I do not want them to fight over the others food. Ideas please?? Thx.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Feed them in separate rooms.

Feed them in their crates.

Supervise meal time and pick up the bowls and put them away after they have had enough time to eat.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
We feed our three spaced apart about 4-5ft and in view, none are food aggressive. Ranger and Zoey will eat till they are full, but Tuke will eat hers and look for possible left overs from the others, so we have to keep an eye on her. We have small kids and everyone takes part in feeding them from time to time, we also do NILIF.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Most people won't agree with me but.....
My girl is13 months and my boy is 8 months old. Got them both at 8 weeks old from different breeders. So she was only 7 months when we got our boy so a little older than your pup.
I did have them outside to meet and I went perfect! My girl loved him right away.
I feed taste if the wild - dry kibble.
I started with two bowls apart from each other and they would eat in one together and then move to the other together..I tried and tried for them to eat separate--Never any aggression from either pup.
Finally I just took up one bowl because they always shared a bowl..it's really cute actually.
I free feed them, they only eat what they want..most of the time there is food in the bowl. When it's empty I always add more unless its after 7:00 pm.
If they are getting treats it goes in the bowl
I will add that both of my dogs are very healthy andTrim, they get plenty of exercise , in fact my girl is very thin I wish she would put some weight on, maybe that's why I started free feeding.
Good luck with your new puppy!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I teach mine to each together. Never had a single fight over food.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I feed my two in the same room, each have their own bowl and have them a little spread apart. Both go to the areas where I put the bowls down now.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I do both. They have two bowls that they share sometimes and other times they each have their own bowls. With the shared bowls, they all share nicely, no fights. They take turns eating. With the individual bowls, I put them a couple feet apart. If I walk away I come back to all the dogs switching bowls. They never end where they start:crazy: There is one huge water bowl that is shared by 4 dogs and 5 cats, no problems, they all drink together.

·
Super Moderator
32,371 Posts
Now my question is this.....when we feed them.....what ideas do y'all have for me? I do not want them to fight over the others food. Ideas please?? Thx.
Well then don't let them! Not to be flip, but this is a really easy thing to prevent - feed regular meals twice a day, and either physically separate them in different rooms with a closed door between them, feed them in their crates, or put their bowls a few feet apart and stand between them until they're finished eating, and then pick up the bowls.

My dogs won't fight over food, but Halo will try to steal Keefer's food. I feed in the garage, there's a chain link pen out there where the dogs go when we're not home. I put one bowl in the pen and the other outside the pen, and close the gate between them. That way I can go back in the house and don't need to stand there while they eat. Not that that takes more than about 5 seconds, lol.:wild:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts