German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Varik is 5 years old now (hard to believe) and the last time he was at the vet he had picked up a few pounds (weighed 93 or 94 lbs). His exercise has definitely lessened because he has started limping some. He has both ED (which I think is what's actually bothering him) and HD. I would decrease his food, but I'm worried that he will not get enough nutrition if it gets too low.

Right now he gets 8 oz of chicken grind in the morning, mixed with 1 cup of rehydrated Honest Kitchen and 1/2 cup of Sojos (grain inclusive ... it's an experiment. Otherwise he gets 1 1/2 cups of THK). He then gets around 1 lb of chicken leg quarters in the evening. His morning grind alternates between chicken and turkey/pork.

I also wonder if it's the Sojos causing some of the weight gain or maybe it's a combination of that and the exercise? Maybe the additional carbs in Sojos is an issue?

Figuring that he normally weighs 89-90 lbs., 28 oz would be 2% of his weight. Can you go lower than that and still provide all the nutrition they need?

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I found turkey leaner than chicken so you might try switching between the two. If you have just started the Sojos recently and saw the weight gain since then, I would remove the Sojos. It is possible to feed a healthy balanced diet while feeding less. Just cut down on quantities.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts