German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since we moved into our apartment there has been a big toad that hangs out on or below our steps, every night he shows up and sometimes stays all day. We have kinda gotten attatched to this little guy and he looked hungry tonight so we took some of the geckos meal worms and gave him a snack

Dinner time, starring Froggers AKA Mr. Toad!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha I hope so, hes such a cool little guy (or girl, I'm sexist lol) Right before he goes to eat he makes this weird suction/popping noise, its so funny!

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
*Cute*

Have the same thing around here & Mr. Shadow knows Mr. Toad sits outside the door at night so, he is always trying to find/spot him before going to potty !

My 2 geckos said, you could have shared with them instead of that darn toad.............. LOL They don't get mealies anymore since way back I lost a AFT to feeding way to many mealies. She got impacted or something b/c her belly swelled up & no poo, she was kept on paper towels. Just crickets now.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I love him!!

What kind of gecko do you have? We have two leopard geckos (among other reptile beasties) right now, which are awesome. =)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: LuvourGSs*Cute*

Have the same thing around here & Mr. Shadow knows Mr. Toad sits outside the door at night so, he is always trying to find/spot him before going to potty !

My 2 geckos said, you could have shared with them instead of that darn toad.............. LOL They don't get mealies anymore since way back I lost a AFT to feeding way to many mealies. She got impacted or something b/c her belly swelled up & no poo, she was kept on paper towels. Just crickets now.
O I love african fat tails! Our friend has two of them and they have such expressive faces! What geckos do you have? I would love to see pics! Haha our geckos are such fatties that they can afford to share w/froggers and your babies. Although we just lost our one of our geckos last night, no clue what the cause was, she stopped eating for a few weeks, we got her the reptiaid and she was doing good...
who knows, they are so hard to read some times! It might have been mealworms if that was your problem, maybe we will take the others off of them for a while to be safe! Good thing they love supers and crickets too (MOOO lol)

O and Baya always tries to "play" with him when she goes out too lol they are lucky frogs that we are so diligent!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: PuffinGirlI love him!!

What kind of gecko do you have? We have two leopard geckos (among other reptile beasties) right now, which are awesome. =)
We have leos too! Do you have pics here are our babies!

The orignial three
R.I.P Rhea!

From left to right Psyche, Rhea and Eros

We bred two of them and heres their family tree

Babies!

Mom and the daughter we kept! Nyx and Psyche

Haha kind of a leo geek if you can't tell, I love reptiles!

·
Registered
493 Posts
They are GORGEOUS! I don't have pictures, unfortunately, but they're both leucistics. The female looks a lot like pretty Rhea. They're such awesome pets.

I'm a huge reptile lover too - we also have two beardies, a Russian tortoise, and a very old fire belly toad (he likes to be included in the group).

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: PuffinGirlThey are GORGEOUS! I don't have pictures, unfortunately, but they're both leucistics. The female looks a lot like pretty Rhea. They're such awesome pets.

I'm a huge reptile lover too - we also have two beardies, a Russian tortoise, and a very old fire belly toad (he likes to be included in the group).
for no pics but it sounds like you have quite the crew! WHen I get out of school and have more room (not have to pack everyone up all the time lol) I was thinking about getting a beardi, Ive seen a few of them and they look so sweet but slightly intimidating, do you have a favorite type? I need to google Russian tortoise and see what they look like!

I really like the luesistics, I love how many patterns leos come in!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Beardies are fun, but they get fairly large, and are a bit more expensive to keep. We have them both in Vision cages, which are amazing cages, but expensive. They can easily eat 50 crickets in a sitting, so that adds up too. =) The German Giants are my favorite type of beardie, because they get extra big. =)

The Russian tortoise is a great starter tortoise. They stay small, and are relatively hardy. Ours is very outgoing and adventurous. =)

If I had more space, I would love to get a Sulcata tortoise. We've talked about getting one, and then moving him out into the backyard when he got bigger, but it would make me nervous that I had an animal I couldn't easily move if there was an emergency.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow thats a bit more than leos lol
I just googled the russian tortoise and they are very cool looking, I would love to get a turtle some day! The Sulcata's get SO big and live for SO long, they would make an awesome pet but I agree I would be nervous if I couldn't move them quickly, not to mention I would hate to leave an animal I had for so long with future family members who might not share my love of such a big reptile, but then again who couldn't love their faces

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hahaha...all of our beasts are total pigs. We go through a couple hundred crickets a week. And then there's all the pellets, seeds, kibble, etc that everyone else eats!

That's a good point with the sulcatas. Not just anyone would be happy to be "gifted" a couple hundred pound tortoise. =)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha Id take it as a compliment to their environment when they try to eat you out of house and home
Ugh I hate crickets, they smell horrible, *sigh* sacrafices lol Thats a lot of food!

no not everyone, only those extra cool ppl
I couldn't even imagine going to a reading of a will and hearing the "good" news if you weren't a reptile lover lol

·
Registered
493 Posts
It does make me happy to see every snarf down their food. =) On the flip side, if anyone doesn't act completely thrilled every time I feed them, I start worrying. =)

Crickets are definitely stinky. It's so much cheaper to buy them in bulk, but we hate to have them sitting around here for any length of time, so we normally just buy them the days we feed. Worms are a lot easier, but I always am nervous about impaction, so I just do it as a treat.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha o man us too, if one of them seems off its instant google time
we have to find out whats wrong (Even though the fat sacs are bulging lol) even though its usually nothing, but I think paranoia is good for pet owners.

I could go on a huge cricket rant, I just cant stand them lol from the looks to the smell to the SOUND, grr their chirping really gets to me, we always have one that gets out and chirps in my room so I can't sleep, then I try to track them down, the last one was in my AC and I really started calculating the value of an ac going into winter
haha anyway now that I have revieled the true extent of my cricket hating.... we usually give waxworms as a treat, and they LOVE them, have you ever fed them to your guys?

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
The Reptile Crew here !

I LOVE AFT's & would have another if I could find one ! They are so calm & sweet looking. This is my female when she was fairly young yet.

One Leo.............. Not a great pic of him. I need to upload better pics to PB, only had 3 gecko pics uploaded there. He has purple on his tail.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Love your reptile babies! The beardies in the chair are sooo cute, idk how you got them to cooperate! The turtle is so little! AFT's are just so calm and relaxed I love them, I know there are several breeders online you just have to weed out the bad ones, we got two of our geckos from very nice breeders online who give you tons of support. Your leo is gorgeous! I love the ones w/purple tinted tails!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally Posted By: Doubleminttwinhaha o man us too, if one of them seems off its instant google time
we have to find out whats wrong (Even though the fat sacs are bulging lol) even though its usually nothing, but I think paranoia is good for pet owners.

I could go on a huge cricket rant, I just cant stand them lol from the looks to the smell to the SOUND, grr their chirping really gets to me, we always have one that gets out and chirps in my room so I can't sleep, then I try to track them down, the last one was in my AC and I really started calculating the value of an ac going into winter
haha anyway now that I have revieled the true extent of my cricket hating.... we usually give waxworms as a treat, and they LOVE them, have you ever fed them to your guys?
Paying attention closely to reptiles is extra important, because they don't normally "act" sick until they're on their death bed! We've had pretty good luck with our guys though, and haven't had to deal with anything worse than parasites, so that's been nice.

Hahaha...you're hilarious with your cricket hating! We normally have quite a few cruising around our house at any given time, so we've gotten used to them. Jones loves to eat them though, so that helps out a bit. =)

Waxworms are a delicacy to reptiles! The problem is that they don't last long in the fridge, so I don't buy them very often.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts