German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm interested in checking in your opinions on frequency of meals and amount for puppies.
Zoe is 6 months and 52lbs, we have been feeding her adult kibble for a few weeks now and we do 3 meals at 2cups each.
When i read the recommendations from the food bag it said 3 to 4 cups a day.
Are we over feeding her?
She's not obese at all, I would actually say she's more on the lean side.
She's a 4 on the body scale index and her proportions look pretty good.
Just looking for some opinions on this, thank you!

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Sounds like quite a bit of food, but how does your puppy look. It's all about how they look. Foods can vary depending on quality your dog may eat more of one food than another. I would think 1.5 cups 3 x daily would be more like it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have and 3 year old 80lb Shepherd and a 2 year old 45lb Golden. I give the each 1 cup of kibble and 6oz. of wet food mixed twice a day. I went by the bag and their body scale index. Both were malnourished when I got them. I have had them both since they were about a year old. Now they look great.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I feed the dog, not by the print on a package. If the dog looks good I'm happy. If he looses weight, I up the quantity. If he's getting pudgy, I cut the amount.

Every dog is different, as is every person. If I ate like my husband, I wouldn't fit through the door! Some dogs and people need more food to maintain a decent weight. Some need less. What is printed on the package is just a recommendation, not a rule.

It sounds to me as though your dog is doing fine on the amount you are feeding. Keep doing what you are doing and adjust when necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts