German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you like my ode to the #1 ranked college football team in the subject line!?! I live in Oregon now (and for the next 3 years), and would be a Duck fan if I was from here originally, but I have to remain loyal to my Penn State Nittany Lions, regardless of how good they are this year!

So, we took our daughters to the cemetery near our house to feed the ducks in the pond and go for a bike ride to help exercise Paw Paw. Speaking of those Oregon Ducks, here's a few that got fat off our homemade organic leftover bread scraps:

I've been wanting to get some good pics of Paw Paw wearing his Ruffwear Approach backpack, so I "hired" my wife to snap some yesterday morning. This has to be one of my fav photos of Paw Paw all-time! When I take Paw Paw for bike rides, I load up his pack with two Platypus pouches filled with water to weigh him down and wear him down. He has about 10-12 lbs of water (5-6 lbs on each side) which is almost 20% of his body weight (64 lbs), supposedly the max weight a dog should be made to carry without risking their health. Paw Paw is attached to my waist using the Ruffwear Roamer leash, and I'm on my mountain bike praying he doesn't see a squirrel or rabbit and decide to jump to ludicrous speed (Spaceballs!) without first warning me.

Here's our silly girls in their bike canopy trailer, attached to the back of my bike. They are seatbelted in, but decided to lean forward when we came to a stop and peek their little heads out. We couldn't pass up this opportunity for a goofy picture.

There is one spot at the cemetery where Paw Paw always gets super alert and stops to listen and sniff the air. The first time we ever heard the coyotes was over in this area. Maybe that's why?! I love how Paw Paw looks in his alert state, and I wanted to get some photos. He's facing the treeline where he knows something lives or visits frequently, because he's never acted this way anywhere else. He would drag me into this area of that forest if I let him; it's that intense of a desire to explore and encounter whatever it is that he senses. I mean, just look at him!

Here's Ciara wearing Kaulini's bike helmet, posing on the hill in front of the duck pond.

Paw Paw says "I've got a BIG silly husky grin on my face. I also have a saddle bag on my right side, and I've got one on my left side! Oh, and that tree behind me is the only thing keeping me from absolute freedom!"

Kaulini posing while holding a pine cone she found. She's wearing her favorite toadstool hat.

The ducks decided to leave the pond and fly in circles overhead, which of course caught Kaulini's attention and made her very happy. Paw Paw was not so happy, as he thought they were purposely teasing him.

"DUCKS!!!!!"

"Hello there!"

Crazy Ciara face!!!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How cute!!! Paw Paw is beautiful!!
Thanks! I've been wanting photos of him in his pack, but because he's usually wearing it while on a solo run or bike ride with me, there's no way of getting any. Well, I planned ahead and took my whole family for a bike ride, and got what I wanted!

I'm submitting a couple of those photos to Ruff Wear for their website or facebook page. They had a rep visit Portland at a small local pet store to help people fit and adjust their packs on their dogs to ensure the dog is wearing it correctly. I told the rep that, when I got the chance, I would send him some photos of Paw Paw in the Ruff Wear gear, since he was so impressed by Paw Paw. Even the customers and store workers thought Paw Paw was the Ruff Wear model. That was months ago, and I'm finally getting around to it! Wow, I'm a procrastinator.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Nice pictures! Paw Paw is beautiful!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Counter........ I want all 3 of your dogs!

I normally do not like Huskies, long story, but your PAW PAW is very handsome!

Beowulf tugs at my heart and Nara is beautiful. :wub::wub::wub:

I'm jealous!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Looks like you had a great day. I can't wait to see my grand daughter again (she live in California and Christmas is such a long time away). That is a beautiful dog; love the back pack on him.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Counter........ I want all 3 of your dogs!

I normally do not like Huskies, long story, but your PAW PAW is very handsome!

Beowulf tugs at my heart and Nara is beautiful. :wub::wub::wub:

I'm jealous!
Sorry, but you can't have them! Ha.

But yeah, my wife and I were saying that we'll probably always have a husky around based on how much we love Paw Paw. We might even breed him to get one of his male pups and then continue the process so we'll always have a Paw Paw ancestor until the day we die. Who knows! Has anyone ever done this? Does it work? Is there anything that might keep it from happening besides an early death before breeding? To imagine that I might one day be 70 or 80 years old (and still healthy I hope) and have Paw Paw's great great great great grandson around to love! Amazing!!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Sorry, but you can't have them! Ha.

But yeah, my wife and I were saying that we'll probably always have a husky around based on how much we love Paw Paw. We might even breed him to get one of his male pups and then continue the process so we'll always have a Paw Paw ancestor until the day we die. Who knows! Has anyone ever done this? Does it work? Is there anything that might keep it from happening besides an early death before breeding? To imagine that I might one day be 70 or 80 years old (and still healthy I hope) and have Paw Paw's great great great great grandson around to love! Amazing!!
Please do not breed PAW PAW, he is a really good looking dog but there are already way too many animals dying in shelters everyday because people "wanted a puppy from their dog" or they wanted to make a quick buck or their unaltered animal got out and bred with another dog or strays that keep reproducing. So please go take a look at your local animal shelter, more than half of those dogs in there will not be making it back out. :teary:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please do not breed PAW PAW, he is a really good looking dog but there are already way too many animals dying in shelters everyday because people "wanted a puppy from their dog" or they wanted to make a quick buck or their unaltered animal got out and bred with another dog or strays that keep reproducing. So please go take a look at your local animal shelter, more than half of those dogs in there will not be making it back out. :teary:
I understand about shelters/rescues. All 4 of our cats are rescued, and 2 of our 3 dogs are rescued. So yeah, you're preaching to the choir! Haha. If I decide to breed Paw Paw, I would be responsible enough about it, and only do it once to get one or two of his pups to keep for our family, and ensure that any others are placed in a great (not just a good) home, knowing they can always be returned if they don't work out for some reason. I would never add to the overpopulation problems, and have already helped by rescuing 6 animals to date, with many more to come once we buy our farmland and start up a private animal sanctuary for rescued/abused/unwanted cows, chickens, horses, pigs, goats, sheep, dogs, and cats, etc.

So yeah, I'm with you on supporting rescues over breeders!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts