German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Just wondering about changing from morning and evening feedings, to once a day? I have eager eaters so they will eat well no matter what. TIA

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Not sure if you feed kibble, but if you do that would be a lot to feed at one time, especially considering how much some kibble will expand. Best to spread it out over at least 2 separate meals. I feed about a cup and a half morning and again in the evening.

·
Registered
213 Posts
When we were on kibble, we fed our GSD and Mal twice a day. Now on raw, they eat once a day, usually before bed. Just their preference and how they eat best. Like Nigel said, a day's worth of kibble at once is a LOT to take in. I'd be worried about gas or bloating or discomfort, but every dog is different. Just try different things and see what works best for them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I feed my girl her daily allowance of kibble and wet food twice a day. Mainly because she inhales it, I'm not sure she chews haha. But also one of my late girls was prone to bloat so when feeding kibble, I feel more comfortable spacing it out.

·
4,485 Posts
My dogs eat a smaller breakfast and a larger dinner. That way they have some calories to help them through all the things I ask of them. It also seems to make food treats more attractive. Not that I am feeding them treats all day, but training rewards are part of their daily calories. They get a bigger meal at night when it is time to settle for the night. Yes, it is partly to avoid bloat. And we spoil them with a small bed time snack from when I used to lock them into a crate at night. We don't lock them in anymore but they still get the treat (frozen all natural no sugar peanut butter frozen into one end of a kong bone)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I feed twice a day (kibble) because she likes it and to reduce the chance of bloat, which can be deadly.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Statistics show dogs are more likely to bloat when fed only once a day. Bloat is a major killer, and fairly common in the GSD breed.

Please feed your dog twice a day.

Growing puppies should be fed 3x a day.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
We feed our pup twice a day and when we eat lunch i give him a bone or something to snack on because I feel bad not giving him something too lol. He eats 100% raw. Is bloat less likely if you feed raw vs kibble?

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
My Mal puppy was fed 3x a day until he got to be about 8/9 months old and then it was 2x a day. My GSD (6 y/o) is also fed 2x a day. They both get dehydrated raw (Primal) and Fromm kibble.
No matter how much you feed them in the morning, they always seem to be ravenous by evening, so dividing into 2 meals just makes sense for us.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Mal puppy was fed 3x a day until he got to be about 8/9 months old and then it was 2x a day. My GSD (6 y/o) is also fed 2x a day. They both get dehydrated raw (Primal) and Fromm kibble.
No matter how much you feed them in the morning, they always seem to be ravenous by evening, so dividing into 2 meals just makes sense for us.
Yes I have noticed that too! LOL! Thank you all for your responses!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts