German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

Just got my 9 month old GSD from foster home. he's such a godd boy, he follow me whereever i go and etc. i have one problem though, i tried to give him puppy chow this afternoon and he sniff but didnt eat at all. i didnt want him to sleep hungry so i fed him hot dogs which he ate about 6 or 7. can someone please tell me what to do in this situation i dont think i can afford to feed him hotdogs every day.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
738 Posts
it's not uncommon for a dog to not eat due to the stress of a new situation. not saying your dog is "stressed" per say, but he prob needs some time to settle in if you just brought him from his foster home. sometimes i mix yogurt in with my dog's food to entice him..also good bc it has probiotics. and remember...he will eat if he's truly hungry. who knows what they did for him while he was in foster care...i would find out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it's not uncommon for a dog to not eat due to the stress of a new situation. not saying your dog is "stressed" per say, but he prob needs some time to settle in if you just brought him from his foster home. sometimes i mix yogurt in with my dog's food to entice him..also good bc it has probiotics. and remember...he will eat if he's truly hungry. who knows what they did for him while he was in foster care...i would find out.
I agree with all this. I would like to add that feeding him a bunch of hotdogs could REALLY upset his stomach.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Try feeding a better food as well. Puppy chow is NOT a good food and he can be on an adult food at this point.

Check out dogfoodanalysis.com for an idea of better brands. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,030 Posts
Skipping a few meals is not going to harm him, so this is really not an urgent situation. Many people use small bits of cut up hot dogs as training treats, but I wouldn't get in the habit of feeding that many at a time, and not on a regular basis. What was the foster home feeding him?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try feeding a better food as well. Puppy chow is NOT a good food and he can be on an adult food at this point.

Check out dogfoodanalysis.com for an idea of better brands. :)
can you please specify what you mean by "better food" i mean brand, type of food, etc

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i tried to call foster home this evening, but it was already 10 o'clock and no one an swered the phone. i am planning to call again tomm.

·
Super Moderator
32,030 Posts
I can't believe they didn't send you home with some of his food, or at least tell you what he'd been eating. What chain pet supply stores are near you? That will help people give you suggestions on what to look for. Some good brands off the top of my head that are not super expensive are Taste of the Wild, Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Pinnacle, Blue Buffalo, Solid Gold, and Natural Balance. Keep in mind that higher quality foods have less filler, and consequently, more calories - they cost a bit more than the lower quality foods, but you'll be feeding less too, which will offset some of the additional cost. Less poop to pick up too!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Like Debbie said-

Blue buffalo, Wellness, Taste of the Wild, Orijen, Solid Gold, and Natural Balance are some great foods. Most are available at petsmart or petco as well. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would disagree that 9 months is old enough for an adult food. I would stick on a puppy food till AT LEAST 1 year, and ideally 15 months (want to make sure they are not growing at all when you switch).

Just my .02

·
Super Moderator
32,030 Posts
Adult food is fine at 9 months old. Many people don't use puppy food at all. Keefer was on adult food when I got him at 9 weeks old.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I would disagree that 9 months is old enough for an adult food. I would stick on a puppy food till AT LEAST 1 year, and ideally 15 months (want to make sure they are not growing at all when you switch).

Just my .02
Why would you stick to a puppy food until a year old?

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
If you go to Costco ( I think the closest one to you is about 50 miles) try the Kirkland dog food. For the money, a good quality.

If that is not an option hopefully you can find out what he was eating before and stick with that if it works.

At 9 months old missing a few meals is not a big deal assuming the dog is healthy. And I agree with feeding the adult food. No puppy food needed.

Best wishes with your new addition!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
As my vet once told me - There has never been a known case of a dog actually starving to death when there was food available.

He is testing you to see if you will up the ante in his bowl. I agree with the others who are encouraging you to provide him with a better brand of food.

Make sure that he is drinking water - that is more important than missing a couple of meals!

Good luck with your new pup. It is very common for them to not want to eat their regular dog food for a couple of days when they first get moved from one place to another.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you

thank you all for the suggestion(s). i called foster home and she told me they been feeding him pedigree, i bought pedigree food, and he start eating after i mix some milk in his food. foster home didn't told me this but i think dog is not used to eat dry food because he only eats when i add milk in his food otherwise he just sniffs and ignore the food.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Be careful feeding cows milk, it could upset his stomach if you give too much! Try to soak it with water and see if that works too.

Keep him on Pedigree for now to establish good eating habits with him but I'd recommend looking into a different food after this bag of it. Pedigree isn't a very good food either for the long run. Typically anything bought in a grocery store is going to be a poor choice. You'd find better foods in pet shops (Some grooming/boarding places will sell higher quality foods too) or places like Tractor Supply. However, if a grocery store is all you have I'd go for Purina Pro Plan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thank you all for the suggestion(s). i called foster home and she told me they been feeding him pedigree, i bought pedigree food, and he start eating after i mix some milk in his food. foster home didn't told me this but i think dog is not used to eat dry food because he only eats when i add milk in his food otherwise he just sniffs and ignore the food.
My dog loves food, but when I switched to a senior diet, he began to balk. He would eat it when I dribbled some low-sodium beef broth (watered down a bit) on his food, but I didn't want to rely on that. I went back to the store and an employee helped me find a better food--turns out his old food was made with turkey and the new one was made with chicken. Once I switched to a senior formula that used turkey he no longer hesitated to eat.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Try mixing a little plain (not vanilla) yogurt with his food and a little water to make a gravy instead of milk. Milk serves no purpose, but could make the dog sick.

Feed the pedigree until he's doing better and eating readily, then buy a better food and mix the two together for a while and wean him onto the better food so as not to upset his stomach. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts