German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought kibble was better but my 2 gsds never really enjoy eating it. And I got to thinking why processed kibble would be a better options than real food. About 3 weeks ago I started feeding them left overs in addition to they're kibble and they seem much happier and healthier. I don't eat meat and only feed them left over my family has from what they eat. Im currently in college so buying meat isn't in the budget. So I was thinking about asking my dad and his friends for deer meat hog or whatever kind they have. I'm sure they'd be more than willing and I have a freezer where I could store it long term. I know that raw feeding is better but would it be better to cook the hog or should I stay away from hog meat all together. I wouldn't mind cooking meat every day if I needed to. So what are your thoughts in this? And how much should I feed daily big I were to go through with it? My male GSD is 2 and is about 90# but is kinda lanky as he is pretty tall and look like he could gain some weight/muscle. And my female is around 80 and looks very healthy and fit. I've actually debated this a lot since I don't eat meat but know my dogs need it to survive and I feel it would be better to at least feed them animals that had a normal life. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I often feed mine raw,meaty venison bones,though as with any new food wean them on to it,game can give even very sturdy dogs diarrhoea,I would avoid feeding raw offal even if it appears parasite free.

I bet some of the hounds that your dad or his friends use to hunt eat a bit of hog meat,could you ask them?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I wouldn't feed hog meat without cooking due to trichinellosis.

If you're going to go into raw feeding whole hog make sure you read up on the details of bone/fat/meat percentages, minerals, and all that other stuff. It's not a good idea to just feed leftovers. If I were to feed raw of leftover hunting scraps, I'd probably buy a meat grinder.

I am not a raw feeder. I think feeding scraps of cooked game meat is fine. I generally boil it and add the broth to the kibble to soak, then top with meat scraps.

However, I wouldn't advise feeding raw while in college to two large dogs. It's not easy to do it right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My opinion doesnt have much knowledge behind it as im still in the research phase. However some of the facebook raw feeding groups i have been following have recommended against raw wild pork. Also as Muskeg mentioned raw feeding requires a balance of meat/bone /organ. So depending on how much meat alone youre adding to there Kibble you are throwing the balance of the kibble out of wack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts