German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I posted recently about my 3,5 months old GSD Husky mix named Lucy, and how I realized that for a couple days she’s been having very soft stools.

I brought her to the vet, and they did another fecal test - it came back negative. She’s super healthy - eats/drinks well, plays, jumps around, etc. The vet suggested that it might be the food that has too much protein (I was giving her Wellness Core Puppy - 36% protein), or that I might be feeding her too much.

Here’s the thing.

1/ I am currently switching her to Fromm Gold (26% protein) and we’ll see how it goes.

2/ I have been told that under 5 months old I need to feed her 3 times a day... unfortunately my partner and I are gone for most part of the day, and we really can’t give her a “middle-of-the-day” meal... so we’re currently feeding her twice a day - 1 + 1/2 cup in the morning and in the evening so 3 cups a day total.

I wanted to know if someone can give me advice on this... what are the dangers of feeding my puppy only twice a day instead of 3? I did it with my other dog (now 2 yo pit mix) and he was fine.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
No issues it's just best to offer several smaller meals in a perfect world. Trying a different food is a good idea but use your eyes to determine how much you need to feed. Don't over think it. Give her 1/2 the amount you usually give her and see how her poop looks. Switching foods slow is key. I do 1/4 new food for 3-4 days then up it another 1/4.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Thanks everyone for the advice. She is loving Fromm Gold. She’s not difficult with food either so that’s fine

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just agreeing with the others... There's no danger whatsoever with feeding pups under 6 months twice instead of 3 times a day. It is just RECOMMENDED so. Because young pups have really fast metabolism therefore dividing meal to 3 is recommended.

Just continue with twice a day. It's absolutely fine.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was home all day super active dog 3 feeding suited him well. If we were less active during the day I think he would have been fine with 2. We had stool issues that is a whole other issue that led us to raw feeding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts