German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been giving my 9mo a quarter of frozen turkey neck(about 4 inches))as a treat every weekend for the past few months. Shes always seemed to digest it with no issues. But i watch her eat it every single time. While frozen she just chews the whole piece until what to me looks like its flat and broken down. However it remains in one price when she swallows it. Is this normal?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also this is given to her after dinner, and when it comes time to sleep she will sleep on her back. She doesn't consistently sleep on her back after eating her regular dry food throughout the week.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Pretty much normal with my dog......she crunches up raw fowl meaty bones and then swallows large chunks.......used to make me a bit nervous....but I've gotten better since.

SuperG

·
Super Moderator
6,984 Posts
Also this is given to her after dinner, and when it comes time to sleep she will sleep on her back. She doesn't consistently sleep on her back after eating her regular dry food throughout the week.
But she does do it consistently following turkey necks?

My dog swallows necks in a couple of good sized chunks, but I don’t feed them frozen... if she eats it quickly then maybe it’s cold / uncomfortable?

@Jax08 feeds something frozen... either turkey necks or chicken feet, I can’t remember...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feed her the turkey neck at 8pm and shes in her crate by 10:30 for bed. Every turkey neck night shes sleeping on her back when i check on her. Yeah she will shift around later on but she does it every turkey day. I just thought it was odd. Frozen was recommended in hopes she doesn't swallow chunks since she isn't on a full raw diet.

·
Registered
31,360 Posts
@Jax08 feeds something frozen... either turkey necks or chicken feet, I can’t remember...
Hmmm...not me. I don't feed turkey necks and thaw the chicken feet. Maybe I did at one time?

Yes it's normal for them to break up the bone and then swallow it whole

·
Super Moderator
6,984 Posts
Hmmm...not me. I don't feed turkey necks and thaw the chicken feet. Maybe I did at one time?

Yes it's normal for them to break up the bone and then swallow it whole
lol, yes, it was chicken feet, in a post from 2013 🙊

·
Registered
31,360 Posts
lol A lot changes in 7 years! No, I don't feed them frozen anymore. I guess you could if you wanted to. And I still clip the nails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts